Each region has waters where anglers commonly go ice fishing. This is not a comprehensive list, but ice fishing is popular at these places when ice conditions allow. Click on each highlighted body of water for more information, which is also found in our Fishing Planner, including maps.
- Fernan Lake is 423 acres near Coeur d'Alene and has a variety of fish.
- Cocolalla Lake is 803 acres in Bonners County off U.S. 95 south of Sandpoint. It has trout, perch and a variety of other species.
- Upper Twin Lake and Lower Twin Lake: These lakes are 525 acres and 390 acres and in Kootenai County north of Rathdrum. They have trout, perch, kokanee, and other species.
Other places to consider if ice conditions allow: Spirit Lake, Avondale Lake, Hauser Lake, Hayden Lake, and Round Lake.
- Winchester Lake is 103 acres in Lewis County and part of Winchester Lake State Park, so a park entrance fee is required. The lake has trout, perch and other species.
- Spring Valley Reservoir is 49 acres and near Troy in Latah County. Trout are the most likely fish to catch through the ice.
- Elk Creek Reservoir is 87 acres and near Elk River in Clearwater County. Trout are the most likely fish to catch.
Southwest Region and McCall
- Lake Cascade is 47 square miles and the fourth largest lake/reservoir in the state. It has a national reputation for producing large perch, including several state records, as well as trophy trout and many other species.
- Horsethief Reservoir is 258 acres and owned by Idaho Fish and Game. It is about 6 miles east of Cascade, and frequently stocked with rainbow trout.
- Mann Creek Reservoir is 269 acres and north of Weiser in Washington County. It has stocked and wild rainbow trout.
Magic Valley Region
- Magic Reservoir is 3,577 acres and east of Fairfield and north of Shoshone. It's an ice fishing destination in Central Idaho and has abundant trout and perch.
- Salmon Falls Creek Reservoir in Twin Falls County is 2,750 acres and has trout, perch, walleye and other species.
- Little Wood Reservoir is 523 acres and northwest of Carey in Blaine County. It has rainbow trout and other species.
- Chesterfield Reservoir is 1,245 acres and east of Pocatello in Caribou County. It has rainbow trout, cutthroat trout, rainbow/cutthroat hybrids, and brown trout.
- Daniels Reservoir is 361 acres and west of Oneida in Oneida County. It has rainbow trout, cutthroat trout, and rainbow/cutthroat hybrids.
- Devils Creek Reservoir is 123 acres and in north of Malad City in Oneida County. It has rainbow trout, cutthroat trout, and kokanee salmon.
Other places to consider if ice conditions allow: Deep Creek Reservoir, Twin Lakes and Bear Lake.
Upper Snake Region
- Henrys Lake is 6,078 acres and located in Fremont County north of Island Park. The lake is world-famous for its trophy trout. The fishing season is open from Saturday of Memorial Day weekend through January 1st.
- Mackay Reservoir is 1,138 acres near Mackay in Custer County. It has trout, kokanee, and perch.
- Ririe Reservoir is 1,414 acres and east of Idaho Falls in Bonneville County. It has trout, kokanee, perch, walleye, and other species.
Other places to consider if Ice conditions allow: Ashton Reservoir, Roberts Pond, Victor Kids Pond, and Becker (Ryder Park) Pond.
- Jimmy Smith Lake is 47 acres, and located in Custer County, approximately 30 miles southwest of Challis. It has rainbow trout.
- Williams Lake is180 acres in Lemhi County south of the town of Salmon. It has rainbow trout.
- Stanley Lake is 185 acres near Stanley in Custer County. It has rainbow trout, lake trout, and kokanee salmon.