Skip to main content

Idaho Fish and Game

Controlled Hunt Application Information

Notice: 5-day waiting period rule change

Beginning in 2020, resident hunters who apply for a controlled hunt must wait five days after tags become available to purchase a capped elk zone tag.

Learn more

Apply Online for a Controlled Hunt


Controlled Hunt Application Resources and Worksheet

To apply for a controlled hunt, residents and nonresidents must have a valid Idaho hunting license and can use the application worksheet below or apply online. These worksheets are also found in the respective rules booklets.

Print out the worksheet to speed up the application process. Use it as a reference when applying by phone or visiting a license vendor or Fish and Game office. You can also use a credit card to apply online* or by phone* at 1-800-554-8685.

* Fees do apply to online and phone purchases
Please Note: Mailed-in controlled hunt applications are no longer accepted beginning 2019. Please apply at a vendor, a regional office, online, or over the phone.


Enter your first choice controlled hunt number. Listing a 2nd choice number is optional. Enter the complete four-digit hunt number, NOT the unit/area number. Hunt numbers are found in the first column (left side) of the controlled hunt tables in the big game seasons and rules booklet. Hunt numbers are subject to change each year so be sure to use the current brochure when applying.

Enter your name(s), DOB and hunting license number.

Group Applicants

  • Two hunters may apply on the same application for turkey, spring and fall bear, moose, bighorn sheep or mountain goat.
  • Up to four hunters may apply on the same application for deer, elk, or pronghorn.
Note: Individual or group applications that are unreadable, have incomplete or incorrect hunt or license numbers, or that lack the required information or fee will be declared void and will not be entered in the controlled hunt drawing. Any person desiring to change an application after it is submitted may cancel it at a Fish and Game office. All fees must be paid again when re-applying.

Controlled Hunt Tag Fees

  • Mailed applications will not be processed.
  • For moose, bighorn sheep, or mountain goat, only tag fees will be refunded. If you do not draw, hunting license fees and application fees will not be refunded.
  • Applicants for controlled hunts for moose, mountain goat or bighorn sheep may only apply for one species and must submit the entire amount - the tag fee AND the controlled hunt application fee - when applying.


Controlled Hunt Application Periods

Controlled Hunt Application Periods
Tags / PermitsDates
Spring BearJanuary 15 – February 15
Spring TurkeyFebruary 1 – March 1
Moose, Bighorn Sheep, Mountain GoatApril 1 – 30
First Super Hunt drawing deadlineMay 31
Deer, Elk, Pronghorn, Fall Bear, Fall Turkey, SwanMay 1 – June 5
Moose, Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goat 
– *Second drawing
June 15 – 25
Deer, Elk, Pronghorn, Fall Bear, Swan 
– *Second drawing
August 5 – 15
Second Super Hunt drawing deadlineAugust 10
*Any tags remaining after the first drawing will be offered in a second drawing.