Roadkill & Salvage

Deer using ID 21 underpass
Mule deer using the Highway 21 wildlife underpass Read story

Reporting roadkill mortalities gives Idaho Fish & Game and Idaho Transportation Department information to help prevent wildlife losses and make highways safer.

Salvaging? If you choose to salvage the animal, this form will generate the required CE-51 Wildlife Salvage permit.

What is wildlife salvage?

The wildlife collision salvage rule went into effect in Spring 2012. The rule allows for the legal salvage of some game animals killed by auto collisions

How do I salvage roadkill?

  • Before you claim any roadkill salvage, consider the safety of yourself and fellow travelers. Always abide by traffic and safety laws.
  • Did you find or accidentally strike and kill an animal legal for salvage? Pick it up.
  • You have 24 hours to notify Fish and Game, and 72 hours to obtain a salvage permit.
  • You may self-report online or phone our offices to report.
    If calling after hours it's important to leave your full name, phone number, address and location of the salvage so a permit may be mailed. If self-reporting a printable permit will be generated.
  • Salvage permits are free.
  • Persons salvaging and consuming this meat do so at their own risk.

Can I dispatch injured wildlife?

As of July 1, 2018, dispatch of wildlife injured in a vehicle collision is allowed. For more information, visit

What may I salvage?

Individuals may recover and keep wildlife species classified as upland birds, upland game animals, big game, furbearers, and predators that may be lawfully hunted or trapped that have been killed by accidental vehicle-collisions. Unprotected non-game wildlife are also legal for salvage. However, protected non-game wildlife, Threatened or Endangered species, migratory birds (which are federally protected), and other wildlife species not lawfully hunted or trapped may NOT be recovered, possessed, or salvaged.

View List of Salvageable Species

Can I sell it?

You may purchase or sell wildlife parts, except the edible flesh, of wildlife species classified as big game, upland game, upland game birds, or furbearers that may be lawfully hunted or trapped that have been killed by accidental vehicle-collisions. Bighorn sheep cannot be purchased, bartered, or sold.

CWD Management Zone Established

Salvage of deer, elk, or moose in GMU 14 or 15 require special considerations. For more information, see our CWD rules page.

CWD Rules

Help Monitor for Chronic Wasting Disease

Idaho Fish and Game has a monitoring program for Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD). CWD is a contagious disease that affects deer, elk, and moose in neighboring states.

To help monitor and limit the spread of CWD, we are testing deer and elk for CWD. If you are salvaging deer or elk, please help us monitor by submitting a sample.

CWD Info

How to Sample

Drop-off Locations