Hunter Education Programs
Learn how to safely and responsibly enjoy hunting in the outdoors.
Who needs Hunter Education?
If you were born on or after January 1, 1975, you must complete a hunter education course to purchase a hunting license OR show proof of a previously held license in Idaho or another state.
How To Get Your Hunter Education Card
Hunter Education Certification Courses
- Instructor–led Course: A classroom course recommended for students ages 9 to 14 years of age or anyone new to hunting. View & sign-up for courses.
- Internet Course: A self-paced online course for students ages 9 and older; requires signing up for a field day following the course. Learn more.
- Hunter & Bowhunter Instructor-led Course: A classroom course for students ages 9 and older. Students certify in both hunter and bowhunter education. View & sign-up for courses.
Bowhunter Education Certification Courses
- Bowhunter Instructor-led course: A classroom course recommended for students ages 9 to 14 or anyone new to bowhunting. View & sign-up for courses.
- Bowhunter Internet Course: A self-paced online course for students ages 9 and older. Students certify without attending a field day. Take the course.
Who is required to have Bowhunter Education? To buy an archery permit, all bowhunters must possess a valid hunting license and show proof they have completed an approved bowhunter education course or show evidence of having been licensed for an archery-only hunt in Idaho or another state, or complete an affidavit to that effect.
- Outdoor Skills Courses: Specialized classes designed for beginning hunters and anglers. Classes include hands-on training taught by seasoned sportsmen and women. View & sign-up for courses.
- Trapper Education Instructor-led Course: A classroom course that covers trapping laws, ethical trapping, avoiding non-target catch, safety and basic trapping methods. View & sign-up for courses.
- Wolf Trapper Instructor-led Course: A classroom course that covers wolf trapping regulations, ethics and trapping methods. Learn more.