Hunter Education Programs
Learn the skills needed to safely and responsibly enjoy hunting, trapping and bowhunting in Idaho's outdoors.
Hunter Education Certification Courses
- Instructor–led Course: A classroom course recommended for students ages 9 and older. View & sign-up for Hunter Instructor-led courses.
- Internet Course: A self-paced online course for students ages 9 and older. View and sign up for internet based courses here.
- Hunter & Bowhunter Instructor-led Course: A classroom course for students ages 9 and older. Students certify in both hunter and bowhunter education. View & sign-up for Hunter & Bowhunter Combination Instructor-led Courses.
Bowhunter Education Certification Courses
- Bowhunter Instructor-led course: A classroom course recommended for students ages 9 and older. View & sign-up for Bowhunter Instructor-led Course.
- Bowhunter Internet Course: A self-paced online course for students ages 9 and older. Students certify without attending a field day. Take the Official Idaho Bowhunter Safety Course Online.
Note: Some bowhunter opportunities are offered as hunter/bowhunter combination courses.
Who is required to have Bowhunter Education? To buy an archery permit, all bowhunters must possess a valid hunting license and show proof they have completed an approved bowhunter education course or show evidence of having been licensed for an archery-only hunt in Idaho or another state, or complete an affidavit to that effect.
Trapper Education Certification Courses
Note: Trapper Education will be mandatory starting July 1, 2018 for anyone who purchased their first Idaho trapping license on or after July 1, 2011.
- Trapper Education Instructor-led Course: A classroom course that covers trapping laws, ethical trapping, avoiding non-target catch, safety and basic trapping methods. View & sign-up for Trapper Instructor-led Courses.
- Wolf Trapper Instructor-led Course: A classroom course that covers wolf trapping regulations, ethics and trapping methods. Learn more about the Wolf Trapper Education Course.
Who is required to have Trapper and/or Wolf Trapper Education? Anyone who has not held an Idaho trapping license prior to July 2011 is required to take trapper education before purchasing a license in 2018. Anyone intending to trap wolves must attend wolf trapper education prior to purchasing wolf trapping tags. Therefore, anyone intending to trap wolves that did not hold an Idaho trapping license prior to 2011 is required to take both trapper and wolf-trapper education.
- Outdoor Skills Courses: Specialized classes designed for beginning hunters and anglers. Classes include hands-on training taught by seasoned sportsmen and women. View & Sign up for Outdoor Skills course.
Monday, November 1, 2021 - 1:16 PM MDT
Friday, October 15, 2021 - 9:19 AM MDT
Thursday, October 7, 2021 - 6:18 PM MDT
Friday, October 1, 2021 - 2:39 PM MDT