The river otter trapping season opens October 22 in the Southeast, Upper Snake, and Salmon Trapping Regions, and November 1 in the Panhandle, Clearwater, Southwest and Magic Valley Trapping Regions.
The map at the bottom of this page shows the counties within each trapping region; county descriptions are located near the map. The table below displays the status of each region for the current trapping season.
- Upland Game, Furbearer, Turkey Seasons & Rules
- Trapping/Hunting Report for Furtakers
- Trapping and Furbearer Information
Updated: February 19, 2019 11:30 am MT
|Trapping Region||Harvest Quota||Otters Harvested||Harvest Quota Remaining||Status||Season Dates|
|Panhandle||40||30||10||Open||Nov 1 - Mar 31|
|Clearwater||20||8||12||Open||Nov 1 - Mar 15|
|Southwest||20||20||0||Closed||Nov 1 - Feb 11, 2019|
|Magic Valley||30||14||16||Open||Nov 1 - Mar 15|
|Southeast||15||5||10||Open||Oct 22 - Mar 15|
|Upper Snake||15||15||0||Closed||Oct 22 - Jan 11|
|Salmon||15||15||0||Closed||Oct 22 - Dec 31|
|The river otter season will close in each region 72 hours after the harvest quota for that region is reached. Trappers will be allowed to keep otters within this 72-hour period provided their personal quota of 2 has not been filled. Please call 1-800-323-4334 for the most up-to-date information on harvest limits and closures.|
- Panhandle - Benewah, Bonner, Boundary, Kootenai and Shoshone counties.
- Clearwater - Clearwater, Idaho, Latah, Lewis and Nez Perce counties.
- Southwest - Ada, Adams, Boise, Canyon, Elmore, Gem, Owyhee, Payette, Valley and Washington counties.
- Magic Valley - Blaine, Camas, Cassia, Gooding, Jerome, Lincoln, Minidoka and Twin Falls counties.
- Southeast - Bannock, Bear Lake, Bingham, Caribou, Franklin, Oneida and Power counties.
- Upper Snake - Bonneville, Butte, Clark, Fremont, Jefferson, Madison and Teton counties.
- Salmon - Custer and Lemhi counties.