2018 Second Drawing Update
The second drawing for big game controlled hunts has been changed.
- The second application period for 2018 will run Friday, August 10 to Friday, August 17.
- Leftover tags should be available Monday, August 27 at 10:00 am MDT on a first-come, first-served basis.
Last updated 7/20/2018 4:15pm MT
|Controlled Hunt Application Periods|
|Tags / Permits||Dates|
|Spring Bear||January 15 – February 15|
|Spring Turkey Permit||February 1 – March 1|
|Moose, Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goat||April 1 – 30|
|Deer, Elk, Pronghorn, Fall Bear, Fall Turkey||May 1 – June 5|
|Moose, Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goat
– *Second drawing if needed
|June 15 – 25|
|Grizzly Bear (residents only)||June 15 - July 15|
|Deer, Elk, Pronghorn, Fall Bear
– *Second drawing
|August 10 – 17|
|*Any tags remaining after the first drawing will be offered in a second drawing.|
Controlled Hunt Application Worksheet
To apply for a controlled hunt, residents and nonresidents must have a valid Idaho hunting license and complete the application worksheet below. The worksheets are also found in the respective rules booklets.
- Moose, Mtn. Goat, Bighorn Sheep – [PDF, 118 KB]
- Big Game – [PDF, 123 KB]
- Grizzly Bear - [Worksheet in Seasons and Rules Brochure; PDF, 2.2MB]
Print out the worksheet to speed up the application process. Use it as a reference when applying by phone or visiting a license vendor, or mail it with the proper fees to any Fish and Game office. You can also use a credit card to apply online or by phone at 1-800-554-8685.
Enter your first choice controlled hunt number. Listing a 2nd choice number is optional. Enter the complete four-digit hunt number, NOT the unit/area number. Hunt numbers are found in the first column (left side) of the controlled hunt tables in the big game seasons and rules booklet. Hunt numbers are subject to change each year so be sure to use the current brochure when applying.
Enter your name(s), DOB and hunting license number.
- Two hunters may apply on the same application for turkey, spring and fall bear, moose, bighorn sheep or mountain goat.
- Up to four hunters may apply on the same application for deer, elk, or pronghorn.
Fees to include when applying by mail
Applicants for controlled hunts for deer, elk, pronghorn or black bear must submit a nonrefundable application fee with each application. Do not send the tag fee(s) when applying for these species, send only the controlled hunt application fee(s).
- DO NOT MAIL CASH!
- A single payment, either cashier's check, money order, certified check, or personal check, may be submitted in the same envelope to cover fees for all applicants when using the controlled hunt worksheet and applying by mail.
- If a payment is insufficient to cover fees, all applications will be voided.
- Applicants for controlled hunts for moose, mountain goat or bighorn sheep may only apply for one species and must submit the entire amount - the tag fee AND the controlled hunt application fee - when applying. See the button links below for current fees.
Controlled Hunt Tag Fees
- Only tag fees will be refunded. If you do not draw, hunting license fees and application fees will not be refunded.