Controlled Hunt Application Information

Controlled Hunt Application Periods
Tags / Permits Dates
Spring Bear January 15 – February 15
Spring Turkey Permit February 1 – March 1
Moose, Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goat April 1 – 30
First Super Hunt drawing deadline May 31
Deer, Elk, Pronghorn, Fall Bear, Fall Turkey May 1 – June 5
Moose, Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goat
– *No 2018 second drawing
June 15 – 25
Grizzly Bear (hunt canceled)  
Deer, Elk, Pronghorn, Fall Bear
– *Second drawing
August 10 – 17
Second Super Hunt drawing deadline August 10
*Any tags remaining after the first drawing will be offered in a second drawing.

Controlled Hunt Application Worksheet

To apply for a controlled hunt, residents and nonresidents must have a valid Idaho hunting license and complete the application worksheet below. The worksheets are also found in the respective rules booklets.

Print out the worksheet to speed up the application process. Use it as a reference when applying by phone or visiting a license vendor, or mail it with the proper fees to any Fish and Game office. You can also use a credit card to apply online or by phone at 1-800-554-8685.

Enter your first choice controlled hunt number. Listing a 2nd choice number is optional. Enter the complete four-digit hunt number, NOT the unit/area number. Hunt numbers are found in the first column (left side) of the controlled hunt tables in the big game seasons and rules booklet. Hunt numbers are subject to change each year so be sure to use the current brochure when applying.

Enter your name(s), DOB and hunting license number.

Group Applicants

  • Two hunters may apply on the same application for turkey, spring and fall bear, moose, bighorn sheep or mountain goat.
  • Up to four hunters may apply on the same application for deer, elk, or pronghorn.
Note: Individual or group applications that are unreadable, have incomplete or incorrect hunt or license numbers, or that lack the required information or fee will be declared void and will not be entered in the controlled hunt drawing. Any person desiring to change an application after it is submitted may cancel it at a Fish and Game office. All fees must be paid again when re-applying.

Fees to include when applying by mail

Applicants for controlled hunts for deer, elk, pronghorn or black bear must submit a nonrefundable application fee with each application. Do not send the tag fee(s) when applying for these species, send only the controlled hunt application fee(s).

  • A single payment, either cashier's check, money order, certified check, or personal check, may be submitted in the same envelope to cover fees for all applicants when using the controlled hunt worksheet and applying by mail.
  • If a payment is insufficient to cover fees, all applications will be voided.
  • Applicants for controlled hunts for moose, mountain goat or bighorn sheep may only apply for one species and must submit the entire amount - the tag fee AND the controlled hunt application fee - when applying. See the button links below for current fees.

    Controlled Hunt Tag Fees


  • Only tag fees will be refunded. If you do not draw, hunting license fees and application fees will not be refunded.