Resident Capped Elk Zones
Use the table below to determine availability of these over-the-counter hunts. Looking for nonresident tags?
- As zones become sold out, they will be indicated below
- Available tags are not updated in real-time
- Tags available starting July 11 at 10 a.m. MT
- Note: Sawtooth tags are sold separately starting on July 13.
- Tags are first-come, first-served
Disclaimer: Capped Elk Zone tags can sell out very quickly.
Notice: 5-day waiting period rule change
Resident hunters who apply for a controlled hunt must wait five days after tags become available to purchase a capped elk zone tag. Those who wait can begin purchasing tags on July 16 at 10 a.m. MT.
Resident Capped Tags Available for 2022
Last updated: July 27, 2022 8:05am MT
Updates are not made in real-time
|Elk Zone - Tag Type||Quota||Available|
|Bear River Zone – B Tag||441||SOLD OUT|
|Big Desert Zone – B Tag||495||SOLD OUT|
|Diamond Creek Zone – A Tag||1,330||SOLD OUT|
|Dworshak Zone – B Tag||2,118||1,289|
|Elk City Zone – A Tag||545||157|
|Elk City Zone – B Tag||1,131||SOLD OUT|
|Lolo Zone – A Tag||128||69|
|Lolo Zone – B Tag||630||516|
|Middle Fork Zone – A Tag||1,168||1,110|
|Middle Fork Zone – B Tag||925||689|
|Pioneer Zone – B Tag||2,467||SOLD OUT|
|Salmon Zone – B Tag||1,792||SOLD OUT|
|Sawtooth Zone – A Tag **||875||SOLD OUT|
|Sawtooth Zone – B Tag **||1,522||SOLD OUT|
|Selway Zone – A Tag||179||78|
|Selway Zone – B Tag||480||183|
|Smoky-Bennett Zone - B Tag||692||SOLD OUT|
|Weiser River Zone - B Tag||3,560||1,368|
Thursday, July 7, 2022 - 2:22 PM MDT
Returned Sold-out Tags
Any returned tags from sold out resident capped zones will be sold using a new (in 2020) returned sold-out tag process.
Sawtooth Elk Zone Tags
Sawtooth Elk Zone tags were available for sale to residents on July 13, 2022. These tags sold out quickly.
- Half of the tags were sold in-person at vendors only starting at 10 a.m. MT.
- The remaining half of the tags were sold online and phone only, starting at 1 p.m. MT.