Skip to main content

Idaho Fish and Game

Ryan Smith 2007 Super Hunt winner with his buck November 2007

Apply now for deer, elk, pronghorn and black bear controlled hunts


You can increase your chances of drawing by adding Super Hunt entries when you apply


Applying for a coveted controlled hunt for deer, elk or pronghorn? Improve your chances of hunting your dream unit by also entering the Super Hunt drawing at the same time you apply. 

Here’s the deal. Thousands of hunters apply for controlled hunts every year hoping to snag one of those prime controlled hunt tags during the application period May 1 through June 5. A resident Idaho hunter pays a $6.25 application fee and gets one chance for a tag in any of those controlled hunts for deer, elk, pronghorn and fall black bear. You can apply online, at any license vendor, or by phone at (800) 554-8685.

The Super Hunt program is a separate and smaller pool of tags, but for an additional $6, a hunter can get added chances at any particular controlled hunt (except black bear) because a Super Hunt tag is good for any controlled or general hunt for that specific species. 

Unlike the controlled hunt applications, hunters can enter as many times as they want for Super Hunt tags. There are eight tags each for deer, elk and pronghorn, along with one moose tag, which will all be drawn in June. But the deadline for Super Hunt entries is May 31, so don’t delay. 

If you really have an open calendar for fall, there’s also one Super Hunt Combo up for grabs, which provides the lucky winner with one tag each for deer, elk, pronghorn and moose. Entries for the Super Hunt combo are $20 each, and hunters can also enter for the combo as many times as they like. 

So what happens if you draw both a controlled hunt and a Super Hunt tag? Well, you’re one lucky hunter! The Super Hunt tag is considered an “extra” tag, so you would have two tags to enjoy the best hunting experiences Idaho has to offer. 

Remember that you will need a 2018 hunting license to apply for a controlled hunt, however,  residents and nonresidents can enter for Super Hunt tags without purchasing a license first. 

Here are more details about Super Hunts, as well information about a second Super Hunt drawing in August. 

A full list of the hundreds of controlled hunts offered for 2018 can be found in the Big Game Seasons and Rules booklet, which is available at license vendors. You can apply for both controlled hunts and Super Hunts at, and if you haven’t been to the site already, you will need to set up an account with a user name and password. 

Once you’re there, apply for the controlled hunts on the application page, and add your Super Hunt applications by clicking on the “purchase a license, tag or permit” box. You can also buy Super Hunt entries at license vendors, or by calling (800) 554-8685.