The Idaho Department of Fish and Game is seeking public comments on proposed changes to the 2018 and 2019 upland game, turkey and furbearer seasons.
Proposed changes to seasons include:
- Increasing the daily bag limit from 1 to 2 turkeys per day statewide.
- Moving the opening day for the fall general season from September 15 to September 1 in units 1, 2 (except Farragut State Park and Farragut WMA), 3, 4, 4A and 6 of the Panhandle Region; and units 8, 8A, 10, 10A, 11, 11A, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 16A, 17, 18, 19, and 20 of the Clearwater Region.
- Eliminating the split in fall seasons in units (8, 8A, 10A, 11, 11A, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 18), and removing limitation to hunt only on private lands. Currently there is a split in seasons between October 10 and November 20.
- Increasing spring and fall turkey controlled hunting opportunities in the Southwest and Salmon regions.
- Adding a new late fall general season turkey hunting opportunity on private lands only in units 73, 74, 75, 77, and 78.
- Extending the closing date for cottontail rabbits from February 28 to March 31.
- Allowing hunting and trapping of foxes on all land ownerships within Valley and Adams counties.
- Changes to controlled beaver trapping units, and allowing beaver trapping in Miner and Cedar creeks of Bingham County in the Southeast Region.
Season proposals are available for review and comment on the Fish and Game website at http://idfg.idaho.gov/comment.
Interested individuals may also provide their comments by attending one of several open house meetings where they can view the proposals and speak directly with local biologists. Open house meetings currently scheduled include:
- Coeur d’ Alene: Monday, December 11, 1 to 6 p.m. (PST), Panhandle Region office, 2885 W. Kathleen Ave, 208-769-1414.
- Lewiston: Tuesday, December 5, 9 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. (PST), Clearwater Region office, 3316 16th St., 208-799-5010.
- McCall: Tuesday, December 12, 4:30 to 6:30 p.m., Fish and Game office, 555 Deinhard Lane, 208-634-8137.
- Nampa: Thursday, December 7, noon to 5:00 p.m., Southwest Region office, 3101 S. Powerline Road, 208-465-8465.
- Pocatello: Thursday, December 7, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Southeast Region office, 1345 Barton Road, 208-232-4703.
- Idaho Falls: Thursday, Dec 7, 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., Upper Snake Region office, 4279 Commerce Circle, 208-525-7290.
If a meeting is not listed in your area, visit the nearest Fish and Game office where copies of the proposed seasons and comment forms are available. Written comments may also be mailed to 2018 & 2019 Upland Game Comments, P.O. Box 25, Boise ID 83707.
Comments can be submitted though Wednesday, December 13.
All comments received will be summarized and presented to the Idaho Fish and Game Commission for consideration before seasons are set at the January 16, 2018 meeting in Boise.
Close up of a wild tom turkey taken near McCammon, Idaho. Photo Courtesy Joe Foster. 2016