Skip to main content

Idaho Fish and Game

Commission Sets Process for Refunds, Exchanges for Trophy Species and Other Species

The Idaho Fish and Game Commission has established a process for hunting license and tag rain checks, refunds or exchanges for areas closed due to fire. For hunters with trophy species, bear and lion tags and permits, the following process applies. (see the basic rules for the application process after species information.) In the upcoming weeks, the Commission will consider season extensions or alterations for these species. Bighorn sheep, moose or mountain goat hunters with controlled hunt permits in an area closed to all recreational activity will be eligible for a refund or rain check for a hunting license and tag/permit for the 2001 hunting season. If the Commission does not authorize the same hunt for the 2001 hunting season, then a refund will be made after the seasons are set in January. Hunters who want to come back in the same hunt next year should mail their license and/or tag in with a letter to that effect. Antelope: Antelope hunters with controlled hunt permits where all recreation access has been closed may either exchange the permit for a general season archery antelope tag (seasons end Sept. 15) or apply for a refund of the permit and tag fee. Black bear and mountain lion: Nonresidents with a black bear or mountain lion tag may apply for a refund of the hunting license and tag fee, or rain check for license and tag in the 2001 season. Resident bear and lion hunters are encouraged to hunt in other areas. Some basic rules apply to all applications: Requests need to be submitted by October 1, 2000. Tag exchanges may be applied for at any Fish and Game office, rain checks and refunds will be processed at the Fish and Game headquarters office, Licenses Section, P.O. Box 25, Boise, ID 83707. Requests for refunds should be made on a form which Fish and Game will make available at offices and on the agency website, or in a personal letter. Requests for refunds or rain checks must include the 2000 license/tag. These must be returned prior to hunting with them. This program applies only to permits and tags in areas closed by the land managing agency to all recreational activity. Road closures which leave an area accessible by boat, trail or secondary road do not qualify. If the license will be used to hunt another species this year, only the controlled hunt permit and tag may be refunded or held for next year. If the hunter hunts with the license, permit and tag it is not eligible for later refund or exchange, or holding for the 2001 season. Refunds will be for the amount paid (purchases before a May, 2000 fee increase were for smaller amounts.) Exchanges must be for the same species. You can't trade a deer tag for a moose tag. Controlled hunt waiting periods will not apply for hunters exchanging for a general-season tag in 2000 or a refund.