Press Release

Ask Fish and Game: Fire Closures

Q. What can I do if I think my hunting access is blocked by a backcountry fire?

A. Hunters and anyone else heading into the backcountry are advised to check with Forest Service ranger district offices or county sheriffs' offices in their hunt area before heading out. Fire updates can be found online at: Additional fire information is available on the Fish and Game Hunt Planner at: Fish and Game generally doesn't close hunts or change seasons in response to fire restrictions. Most fires are not large enough to affect an entire hunt unit. Hunters can hunt later in the season or exchange general tags to hunt in a different area. But tags must be exchanged before the season begins. Hunters with controlled hunt tags may exchange them for general season tags before the controlled hunt begins. But controlled hunt fees would not be refunded. Fish and Game will consider requests for rain checks or refunds in the event that all access to a hunting unit is blocked by fire. Hunters requesting a rain check must submit their tags and permits with a letter describing their request to the license section at Fish and Game, P.O. Box 25, Boise ID 83707 when the season is over.