Guidelines for Measuring White Sturgeon
- Keep the fish in the water (Example 1).
- Gently roll the sturgeon belly up, and use a tape measure stretched across the belly (Example 2).
- Start the tape measure at the tip of the nose (Example 3).
- Pull the tape tight so it is straight to the tip of the tail (upper lobe). Avoid twisting the tape (Example 4).
Several photos are needed to verify the total length of these special fish! Since sturgeons are so long, at least 3 photos are needed. Please submit at least 2 measuring photos with a center reference point at the pelvic fins, and at least 1 photo with the anglers.
Photos should be of high enough quality to zoom in and verify numbers on the tape measure. Otherwise, IDFG will not be able to verify your record.
- Provide a photo of the angler and the whole fish together. (See Example 1)
- Front half of fish showing the tape measure from snout to the pelvic fins (Photo Example 4)
- Back half showing tape measure from pelvic fins to the tip of the tail.