Watchable Wildlife Program,
Idaho Department of Fish and Game
PO Box 25
Boise, ID 83707
Idaho Birding Trail
Cost: $5.00 (includes tax).
With 175 sites and about 2,000 miles of trail, the birding trail represents a collection of bird watching hot spots, diverse habitats, and a glimpse of Idaho’s rich natural heritage. This 135-page guidebook includes directions, descriptions and maps of every site on the trail. The guidebook was developed by Fish and Game in collaboration with local birders and other state and federal partners.
Idaho Wildlife Viewing Guide
Cost: $10.00 (includes tax)
Here is your chance to see wildlife of all sizes, shapes, and kinds! In this guide are 100 sites of the best wildlife viewing sites all across Idaho. Each site is clearly described with locator maps, driving directions, best times to view wildlife, and the type of animals found there.
Birds and Birding Routes of the Idaho Panhandle
Cost: $3.00 (includes tax).
Explore 10 different birding routes of the Idaho Panhandle clearly described with driving directions, maps, and types of birds found there. Roberts describes birding points of interest, bird habitat charts, bird arrival dates, and preferred habitats.
Birds of East Central Idaho
Cost: $5.00 (includes tax).
This book includes abundance rating, habitats, and distribution for birds in East Central Idaho. Eight different birding "hot spots" are listed with dates when peak numbers of birds are present.
This free Leaflet Series includes general descriptions for groups of species in Idaho or the habitats they live in.
- Backyards for Wildlife - [PDF, 2.5 MB] - Only available online from this location.
- Idaho's Birds of Prey - [PDF, 2.2 MB]
- Idaho’s Birds of Prey: Owls of Idaho - [PDF, 1.3 MB] Only available online from this location.
- Amphibians and Reptiles of Idaho - [PDF, 3.3 MB] (scanned photocopy)
- Between the Land & Water: The Wetlands of Idaho - [PDF, 2 MB] (scanned photocopy)
- Idaho's Migratory Landbirds: Description, Habitats & Conservation - [PDF, 3.1 MB] (scanned photocopy)
- Idaho's Bats: Description, Habitats & Conservation - [PDF, 2.7 MB] (scanned photocopy)
- Idaho's Bald Eagles - [PDF, 1 MB]
- Dead Trees & Living Creatures: Snag Ecology of Idaho - [PDF, 3 MB] (scanned photocopy)
- Western and Clark's Grebes - [PDF, 224 KB]
- Ponderosa Pine Scenic Byway Wildlife Viewing Guide - [PDF, 1 MB]
- Idaho Bird Conservation Plan - Version 1.0 [PDF, 615 KB]
- Birds in a Sagebrush Sea: Managing Sagebrush Habitats for Bird Communities - [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- Keeping Birds in the Sagebrush Sea (landowner version of the above) - hard copy available by request. [PDF, 1.6 MB]
- Riparian Riches: Habitat Management for Birds in Idaho - [PDF, 2 MB]
- Why Not Russian Olive and Saltcedar? - [PDF, 69 KB]
- Idaho's Amphibians and Reptiles - Rules for collection, possession and permitting [PDF, 650 kb]
Top of page