Press Release


This page is archived for your convenience. This content may contain outdated or currently inaccurate information.

Hunt Applicant Wins $400

Kent Howell of McCammon won the drawing for $400 awarded at random among early applicants in this year's big game controlled hunt drawing. Hunters who applied early for this fall's controlled hunts for deer, elk, black bear and antelope were eligible for big bucks in two ways: draw a tag and hunt one in the field, or be the lucky winner of one of two cash drawings. The applications are accepted during the whole month of May, but only those received by May 10 were entered in the $600 drawing held May 14. An additional $400 was awarded for filing by May 20. The drawing is sponsored by the Idaho Fish and Wildlife Foundation and funded by GTECH Corporation. By encouraging the early application process, the Foundation and GTECH hope to prevent overload on the computer terminals at license vendors in the final days of the application period. Applicants for controlled hunts may still use the mail-in procedure, but most will find it more convenient to drop by any one of about 430 private license vendors where their application will be entered on the Point of Sale computer system. They can also apply in person at Fish and Game offices. Many residents, as well as nonresidents, prefer to use a credit card and call in their application (1-800-554-8685) or the department's website. Either adds a transaction fee of three percent of the transaction, plus $3.50 in order to pay the contractor who processes the telephone and internet applications. Applications for controlled hunts must be accompanied by a nonrefundable application fee of $6.50. Fish and Game accepts personal checks. All applications must be received or postmarked no later than May 31. The drawing for controlled hunts is conducted by computer and all successful applicants are notified by mail following the drawing. Applicants who cannot wait for their notice can call 1-900-896-3729 from July 10 through July 31 (this is a pay-per-minute call) or check the department website at Information on the drawing can be found in the controlled hunt information section of the 2001 big game seasons booklet.