The one day each year that a fishing license is not required for anyone is Free Fishing Day - this year on Saturday, June 13.
To go fishing on any other day, anglers will need to buy a fishing license.
Children under age 14 never need a fishing license. All other fishing regulations still apply. Be sure to check the regulations for the area you intend to fish.
Never been fishing before? No problem. Fishing events, sponsored by Idaho Fish and Game regional offices, are planned all around the state. Fishing rods are usually provided, as well as some basic instruction on how to fish.
Fish and Game personnel and volunteers will be on hand to help first time anglers discover the joys of fishing at the following free events:
- Panhandle Region - Pete Gardner - 208-769-1414.
- Bonners Ferry - Snow Creek Pond, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Calder - Calder Pond, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Clark Fork - Clark Fork Lodge Pond, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Coeur d'Alene - Ponderosa Springs Golf Course, 7 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Enaville - Steamboat Ponds, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Harrison - Harrison Marina, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Mullan - Lucky Friday Pond, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Post Falls - Post Falls Park Pond, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Rathdrum - Rathdrum City Park, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Sandpoint (near Sagle) - Round Lake State Park, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Priest Lake - Priest Lake Golf Course, 9 a.m. to noon on Sunday, June 8.
- Clearwater Region - For information 208-799-5010. All events 9 a.m. to noon.
- Elk City - Karolyn's Pond.
- Grangeville - Wilkin's Pond.
- Headquarters - Pierce/Weippe - Deer Creek Reservoir.
- Kooskia - Fenn Pond, 5 miles from Lowell on Forest Service Road 223.
- Lewiston - Mann Lake.
- Moscow/Troy - Spring Valley Reservoir.
- Riggins - Box Canyon Pond (Long Gulch Pond).
- Southwest Region - Evin Oneale - 208-465-8465.
- Boise - Parkcenter Pond, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Cascade - Fischer's Pond, 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Council - Council Park Pond, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Eagle - Merrill Pond, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Emmett - Ed's Pond, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Idaho City - Visitor Center Pond, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Lowman - 10-mile Ponds, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- McCall - Rowland (Scout) Pond, 9 a.m. 2 p.m.
- Meridian - McDevitt Pond, 8 a.m. to noon.
- Mountain Home - Legacy Park Pond, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Nampa - Nampa Hatchery, 8 a.m. to noon.
- New Meadows - Kimberland Meadows Pond, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Magic Valley Region - Kelton Hatch - 208-324-4350.
- Hagerman - Hagerman Fish Hatchery 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Picabo - Gavers Lagoon at Hayspur Fish Hatchery, 8:30 a.m. to noon.
- Southeast Region - Jennifer Jackson - 208-232-4703.
- Grace - Grace Fish Hatchery, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Children 14 and under may fish, but age 8 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
- Massacre Rocks State Park - 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Pocatello - Hawkins Reservoir, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Soda Springs - Kelly Park Pond, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Children 13 and under may fish, but age 8 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
- Upper Snake Region - Gregg Losinski - 208-525-7290. Events run from 9 a.m. to noon and loaner poles and worms will be available.
- Idaho Falls - Willow Creek in Freeman Park.
- Roberts - Roberts Gravels Pond.
- Ashton Hatchery - advanced registration only event.
- (The U.S. Forest Service will host an event in Island Park and the Kid's Mill Pond on the Yale-Kilgore Road.)
- Salmon Region - Tom Curet - 208-756-2271.
- Salmon - Kid's Creek Pond from 8 a.m. to noon.
- Challis - Blue Mountain Pond from 8 a.m. to noon.
- Sawtooth Hatchery - 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
For more information about regional events contact local Fish and Game offices or visit the Fish and Game Website at http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/