The opening of campgrounds at Horsethief Reservoir has been delayed due to the current COVID-19 situation. The opening date for overnight camping at Horsethief Reservoir Campground has been set for Saturday, May 30th. Basic sanitary measures to address COVID-19 issues for campground users are being implemented.
Horsethief Reservoir is managed cooperatively by the Idaho Department of Fish and Game and the YMCA. Fish and Game manages the popular trout fishery, while the YMCA manages the campgrounds. Several campgrounds are being renovated to improve camping facilities. Osprey Bay and Easter's Cove campgrounds will remain closed for much of the 2020 season because of construction.
- Osprey and Easter’s will be open May 30 to June 30, then closed from July 1 to October for renovation.
- All other campgrounds (Eastside loops, Timber Bay, King’s Point, and Bear Knob) will be open all summer/fall, starting May 30.
The Osprey Bay loop road will be graded and paved, as will the loop camp sites. The Easter’s Cove loop road will be properly graded, graveled and compacted. Campsites in both loops will be improved, with the installation of new living pads, picnic tables and fire rings. Last year, King's Point campground received significant upgrades. The loop road was widened and paved, and all 28 campsites were outfitted with large sand living pads, picnic tables and fire rings. The boat ramp parking area was also enlarged and paved to improve boating access.
For more information:
- Horsethief Reservoir brochure download
- For campground questions, please contact YMCA representative Randy Spiwak at 386-212-7123.
- Check the IDFG COVID-19 page for additional closures and info
- Tips from ID Parks and Recreation for social distancing
- Fishing information: Horsethief Reservoir Fishing Planner Page