Skip to main content

Idaho Fish and Game


Waterfowl season for youth and veterans/active military runs the weekend of Sept. 23-24


A Federal Migratory Bird (Duck) Stamp is not required for hunters 15 and younger but is required for hunters 16 and older.

Duck and goose hunting is among the coolest ways to introduce a youngster to the excitement of hunting. There's usually plenty of birds in the sky and the opportunity for a novice to experience the blinds, the decoys, and the dogs, all under the supervision and guidance of an adult.

But you don’t just have to be an over-eager 10-year-old to enjoy the weekend kickoff. Veterans and active duty military personnel can also participate in the early, two-day hunt on Sept. 23-24.

Notice for Snake River Area

People should beware of temporary access closures for fishing and waterfowl hunting on all Fish and Game properties on the Snake River between Shoshone Falls downstream to the Highway 46 bridge across the river north of Buhl due to the discovery of invasive quagga mussels in the area. 

For more see this media release and/or the Idaho State Department of Agriculture website at 


Here’s everything you need to know for the Youth and Veterans/Active Military Waterfowl Hunting Weekend:

  • Migratory Bird (HIP) Permit—required
  • Federal Migratory Bird (Duck) Stamp—not required for hunters 15 and younger; required for all hunters 16 and older
  • Daily duck, goose, snipe and coot limits are the same as regular season limits statewide
  • At least one adult 18 years or older with a valid hunting license must accompany each youth hunting party into the field at all times. Adults are not authorized to hunt;.
  • All other state rules and federal regulations pertaining to take of migratory game birds are in effect for this hunt.Veterans and active military personnel are eligible to participate in this hunt.
  • In order to participate as a youth, hunters must be licensed and 17 years of age or younger
  • In order to be eligible to participate as a veteran or active duty military, a hunter must be licensed and:
    • Be a veteran who served on active duty in the United States military, naval, or air service and was discharged or separated under honorable conditions after 90 days of continuous active duty, or was separated or discharged from military service earlier than ninety 90 days under honorable conditions because of a service-connected disability, or be a member of the Armed Forces on active duty (which does not include members of the National Guard and Reserves performing drills or training).
    • Carry proof of eligibility in the field, such as an official military or veteran identification card, DD214 form, or a state-issued driver's license or identification card with veteran designation.

To learn more about waterfowl hunting in Idaho, check out Fish and Game's Migratory Game Bird webpage and the 2023-2024 seasons and rules booklet.

To find places to hunt, check out the Hunting Access page.