The new upland game, turkey and furbearer seasons and rules books are back from the printer and will available later this week.
The 2012-2013 & 2013-2014 Upland Game, Furbearer and Turkey seasons and rules brochure includes some changes that affect some spring turkey controlled hunts.
The new rules books includes several changes to turkey seasons.
In the Southeast Region, general fall turkey seasons in units 73, 74, 75, 77 and 78 have been replaced with a controlled hunt with 150 permits. In addition, permit numbers were reduced in Unit 71:
- Spring controlled hunts 9015 and 9016 were each reduced to 50 permits, from 75.
- Fall controlled hunts 9021 and 9022 were each reduced to 75 permits, from 100.
And hunt 9021 was shortened by a month to run from September 15 to November 30. The season had been from September 15 to December 31.
General fall turkey seasons in units 22, 23, 24, 31, 32 and 32A in the Southwest Region have been replaced with two controlled hunts: one in units 22, 32 and 32 A with 125 permits, and one in unit 30 with 20 permits.
The application period for spring turkey controlled hunts began February 1 and will run through March 1. The application fee is $6.25 per person for residents and $14.75 for nonresidents.
Hunters may apply for controlled hunts at any hunting and fishing license vendor, Fish and Game office; with a credit card by calling 1-800-55HUNT5; or online at http://fishandgame.idaho.gov. An additional fee is charged for telephone and Internet applications.
If drawn a hunter must also purchase a turkey controlled hunt permit and turkey tag. Hunters must have a valid 2012 Idaho hunting license to apply.
Other upland game changes:
- Increased the possession limit for upland birds and game species to three times the daily limit, up from twice the limit.
- Returned the opening day of the chukar, gray partridge and quail seasons to the third Saturday in September. This year that would fall on September 15 and run through January 31, 2013.
- Increased the daily bag limit to eight each for chukar and gray partridge.
- Changed the opening day for the cottontail and snowshoe hare seasons to August 30 statewide to match forest grouse seasons.
Changes in furbearer seasons and rules include:
- Increase the otter quota to 30, from 15.
- Extend the otter season 15 days to March 31 to match the beaver season.
- Increase the otter quota to 20, from 15.
- Convert beaver control trapping permits 201 and 202 to a general season.
- Increase the otter quota to 15 from five.
- Open the Lime Creek drainage and Basalt Creek in Camas County and Clover Creek in Gooding County to beaver trapping.
The seasons and rules also are available online at: http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/hunt/rules/?getPage=67.