Press Release

New F&G Rules Take Effect July 1

New Fish and Game rules will take effect July 1, affecting resident and nonresident licenses and the use of motorized vehicles by hunters in designated game management units.

Three-Year Licenses

Resident and nonresident license buyers will be able to buy three-year licenses beginning July 1. Buyers save the vendor fee for two years in addition to the convenience.

The costs for three-year licenses - vendor fees included - are:

  • Resident Adult Combination - $97
  • Resident Adult Hunting - $34.75
  • Resident Adult Fishing - $73.75
  • Resident Junior Combination - $49
  • Resident Junior Hunting - $18.25
  • Resident Junior Fishing - $37.75
  • Resident Senior Combination - $31.75
  • Resident Disabled Combination - $11.50
  • Nonresident Adult Combination - $716.50
  • Nonresident Adult Hunting - $460.75
  • Nonresident Adult Fishing - $291.25
  • Nonresident Junior Mentor Hunting - $91.75
  • Nonresident Junior Fishing - $61.75

Junior Licenses

Beginning July 1, Fish and Game will no longer sell youth small game hunting licenses. Youths 10 to 17 may buy the Resident Junior Hunting or Nonresident Junior Mentored Hunting license.

Motorized Hunting Rule

The Idaho Fish and Game's motorized hunting rules apply only to hunting big game animals, including moose, bighorn sheep and mountain goats, in designated units from August 30 through December 31.

Between these dates and in the designated units, specific to all big game hunting, hunters may use motorized vehicles only on established roadways that are open to motorized traffic and capable of being traveled by full-sized automobiles.

Motorized hunting use restrictions apply to units 29, 30, 30A, 32, 32A, 36A, 37, 37A, , 45, 47, 49, 50, 51, 52, 52A, 53, 56, 58, 59, 59A, 66, 66A, 69, 70, 72, 73, 75, 76, 77 and 78.

The rule does not apply to hunting upland game animals or birds.

The rule applies to motorized vehicle uses by hunters off an established roadway, except:

  • Holders of a valid handicapped person's motor vehicle hunting permit may use a motorized vehicle as allowed by the land owner or manager.
  • Hunters may use a motorized vehicle to retrieve downed game if such travel is allowed by the land owner or manager.
  • Hunters may use a motorized vehicle to pack camping equipment in or out if such travel is allowed by the land owner or manager, but hunters may not hunt while packing camping equipment.
  • Private landowners on their private land, their authorized agents and persons with written landowner permission are exempt from the motorized hunting rule restrictions.


- A motorized vehicle is any water, land or air vehicle propelled by means of steam, petroleum products, electricity or any other mechanical power.

- A full-sized automobile is any motorized vehicle with a gross weight in excess of 1,500 pounds.

- An established roadway is as any road built, maintained, approved or designated by any government entity or private landowner for the purpose of travel by full-sized automobiles. An established roadway shows evidence of repeated use by full-sized automobiles, and may include a traveled way of natural earth with depressed wheel tracks and little or no vegetation in the tracks.