The Idaho Fish and Game Commission will be setting big game and Chinook salmon seasons during a meeting Wednesday and Thursday, March 21 and 22, in Boise.
The commission will meet in the Trophy Room at Fish and Game headquarters 600 S. Walnut St., Boise. A public comment session will begin at 7 p.m. Wednesday, March 21.
The meeting starts at 8 a.m. Thursday. The commission will set seasons for this fall's deer, elk, pronghorn, black bear, gray wolf and mountain lion hunts and a spring season on Chinook salmon in the Clearwater, Snake, lower Salmon and Little Salmon rivers.
Recommendations for deer, elk, pronghorn, black bear, mountain lion and gray wolf 2012-2013 seasons include:
- Expand muzzleloader opportunity in Panhandle 10 days.
- Shorten the season for extra antlerless controlled hunts in Clearwater Region.
- Adjust antlerless hunt tag numbers in northern portion of Southwest Region, extend antlerless portion of Unit 23 white-tailed deer season for youth only.
- Add new deer hunt to Deer Flat National Wildlife Refuge to address depredations on neighboring private land and convert antlerless youth hunt in Units 40 and 41 to youth extra antlerless controlled hunt.
- Restructure antlerless hunts in Units 44, 45 and 52, restructure youth hunts in Units 47, 54, 55 and 57, and move rotating muzzleloader hunt from Units 47, 54 and 55 to eastern portion of unit 45.
- Convert Unit 36A unlimited controlled buck hunt to 120 tags; add Unit 29 to controlled hunt Area 37 muzzleloader hunt.
- Eliminate general season antlerless elk hunts in the Panhandle. Create separate controlled either-sex hunts in Units 1, 2, 3 and 5.
- Reduce antlerless controlled hunt tags in McCall zone.
- Increase antlerless elk tags in Owyhee controlled hunt Area 40.
- Restructure Landowner Permission Hunts and antlerless hunts in units 45, 49, 52A, 56 and 68 to address depredation concerns; convert Landowner Permission Hunts to extra tag hunts.
- Reduce antlerless opportunity in Teton zone by shortening A-tag season.
- Create three new controlled hunts with 20 permits each to address depredation concerns in Unit 36B.
- Increase opportunity in Units 45 and 52.
- Convert Landowner Permission hunts to extra tag hunts.
- Separate out Unit 68 from existing archery either-sex pronghorn hunts and create new unlimited controlled hunt.
- Extend Unit 6 spring season to June 30.
- Extend spring season in Units 23, 24 and 25 by one week to close June 7.
- Increase season by 60 days in Unit 6, and 44 days in Units 7 and 9.
- Increase bag limit for hunting and trapping in Panhandle and Clearwater region wolf zones.
- Extend season on private land in Panhandle zone.
- Add trapping season in Units 19A and 25.
- Increase harvest limit in Southern Mountain zone from 25 to 30.
- Increase season length in Beaverhead and Island Park zones to close on January 31.
In addition to big game seasons, routine agenda items include a legislative update, the results of an angler opinion survey, acquisition of 26 acres next to the Pend Oreille Wildlife Management Area, and a report on gas leases on the Payette River.
Times on the agenda are approximate and subject to change.
A complete agenda is available on the Fish and Game website: http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/about/commission/2012/03_21_2012_age....