Press Release

Big game controlled hunt application period begins

The application period for this fall's deer, elk, pronghorn, fall black bear and fall turkey controlled hunts begins May 1 and runs through June 5.

Apply now

Hunters with a valid 2017 Idaho hunting license may apply for controlled hunts at any license vendor, Fish and Game office, with a credit card by calling 1-800-554-8685, online at, or by mail to Fish and Game's License Section, P.O. Box 25, Boise, ID 83707. Mailed applications must be postmarked no later than June 5.

Hunters purchasing a license online before applying for a controlled hunt are reminded that Fish and Game has added security measures, which require the buyer to establish a unique account with a user name and password.

Hunters can make informed decisions on what controlled hunts to apply for by using the Hunt Planner on Fish and Game’s website that lists the drawing odds and statistics for all controlled hunts. The search tool is available at

Yellowstone elk
All rights reserved.

Yellowstone elk, Photo by Shutterstock