So you have had a successful hunt, now what? Wildlife biologist and hunter Steve Nadeau demonstrates how to field dress and quarter a deer (or any other big game animal).
This method is for animals you are not planning to use for a taxidermy mount. According to Nadeau, there are five good reasons to remove the hide and entrails while you are in the field:
1. Removing entrails cools carcass and prevents meat from spoiling.
2. Rapid removal of entrails will prevent E.coli bacteria from spreading.
3. Field dressing reduces weight for transport.
4. Proper field dressing is quick and simple.
5. Removing the hide quickly cools the carcass and preserves meat quality.
So let’s get started: