This rulemaking proposal would establish additional limits on dry ground sets using body-gripping traps. The purpose of the rulemaking is to reduce potential injury to domestic dogs (reducing potential conflict between trappers and other user groups).
This proposal seeks to restrict the use of body-gripping traps and require the following:
- For body-gripping traps greater than 7 ½ inches of jaw spread (as measured from the inside edges of the body-gripping portion of the jaws), these traps would only be allowed to be set as water set, or when set greater than 30 feet from any bait, lure, or other attractant.
- For body-gripping traps greater than 6 ½ inches and less than 7 ½ inches, these traps must be either:
- In an enclosure with the trap trigger recessed a minimum of 7 inches from the top and front most portion of the enclosure
- Set 30 feet or greater from any bait, lure, or other attractant
- Elevated at least 3 feet above the surface of the ground or snowpack