I bought my new hunting license but when I asked for my elk tag, I got something that looks like just a receipt. I want to make sure I can hunt in one of the capped elk zones, so now what?


The receipt for resident big game tags is offered as a convenience, so you only have to make one purchase, which is especially if you are buying a Sportsman's Package. Resident deer and elk tags do not go on sale until August 1, however. You can redeem your receipt at that time for a specific tag. If you want an elk zone where the total number of tags has been capped, it is best in most cases to be in line for it on the first day of sale, August 1. Actual tags for resident hunters of bear, mountain lion, turkey, and antelope are available on December 1.

Answered on: 
Monday, December 4, 2006 - 5:00 PM MST