The Idaho Comprehensive Wildlife Conservation Strategy provides a framework for conserving 229 "species of greatest conservation need" and the habitats upon which they depend. It is the state’s guiding document for managing and conserving at-risk species, most of which are not hunted, trapped, or fished. An integrated approach to implementing this strategy across all Fish and Game programs will reduce potential listings under the Endangered Species Act.
The Idaho Comprehensive Wildlife Conservation Strategy (CWCS) was submitted to the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service for review on September 30, 2005 and was accepted by the Service in February 2006.
Individual components of the strategy may be viewed below:
Resize the browser window to see the effect.
- Recommended Citation - [PDF, 12 KB]
- Foreword by J. Michael Scott - - [PDF, 17 KB]
- Executive Summary - [PDF, 24 KB]
- Acknowledgments - [PDF, 26 KB]
- Introduction and Purpose - [PDF, 237 KB]
- Approach and Methods - [PDF, 383 KB
- State Overview - [PDF 20 MB - Very Large File. Expect Long Download Time]
Ecological Section Conservation Priorities
- Okanogan Highlands - [PDF, 2.7 MB]
- Flathead Valley - [PDF, 3 MB]
- Bitterroot Mountains - [PDF, 3.2 MB]
- Blue Mountains - [PDF, 3 MB]
- Idaho Batholith - [PDF, 3.8 MB]
- Challis Volcanics - [PDF, 3.4 MB]
- Beaverhead Mountains - [PDF, 3.1 KB]
- Palouse Prairie - [PDF, 3.3 MB
- Owyhee Uplands - [PDF, 4.3 MB]
- Snake River Basalts - [PDF, 3.4 MB]
- Northwestern Basin and Range - [PDF, 3 MB]
- Overthrust Mountains - [PDF, 2.8 MB]
- Yellowstone Highlands - [PDF, 2.1 MB]
- Bear Lake - [PDF, 2.7 MB]
- Glossary - [PDF, 463 KB]
- Literature Cited - [PDF, 511 KB]
- Appendix A: Common and Scientific Names for Fish and Wildlife Species Found in Idaho - [PDF, 142 KB]
- Appendix B: Idaho Species of Greatest Conservation Need - [PDF, 75 KB]
- Appendix C: NatureServe Conservation Status Assessment Criteria - [PDF, 92 KB]
- Appendix D: Heritage Conservation Status for Species: A Possible Rule-& Point-based Process for Status Assignment - [PDF, 73 KB]
- Appendix E: Description of Ecological Systems of Idaho - [PDF, 69 KB]
- Appendix F: Species Accounts and Distribution Maps for Idaho Species of Greatest Conservation Need
- Appendix G: Common and Scientific Names of Plant Species that Appear in the Text - [PDF, 26 KB]
- Appendix H: Idaho Important Bird Areas (IBA) Program - [PDF, 1.8 MB]
If you are unable to download these files, please call 208-334-2920 for an electronic copy of the strategy on CD.
NOTE: The above link leads to an area containing technical data and may require the use of certain software tools, components and processes including but not limited to: zip files, Google maps and Microsoft Office components (Excel, PowerPoint, Access).
Top of page