Frequently Asked Questions

We get a lot of questions. We post here answers to questions we're being asked frequently. If you have a question not answered here, please contact us. Urgent questions should be directed to your nearest office. Some answers change over time; please take note of the "answered" date.

Displaying 1 - 2 of 2 questions


You need a Federal Migratory Game Bird Harvest Information Program, or Federal HIP, validation on your hunting license. It's not really a stamp. It costs $1.50, which pays the license vendor for issuing the validation. It is required for hunting doves, sandhill cranes, snipe and all waterfowl. With the information gained when hunters answer a questionnaire each year when buying the Federal HIP, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service can do a more accurate job of managing these migratory birds.

answered 8/3/2003


You sure do. The harvest information program permit is required for anyone who hunts waterfowl, snipe, sandhill cranes, or doves. It helps the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service keep track of populations and harvest throughout the range of these migratory birds.

answered 9/4/2000