Frequently Asked Questions

We get a lot of questions. We post here answers to questions we're being asked frequently. If you have a question not answered here, please contact us. Urgent questions should be directed to your nearest office. Some answers change over time; please take note of the "answered" date.

Displaying 1 - 25 of 91 questions

Q: Can I use a 22, 22 mag, and 17 hmr (all rimfire cartiges) for mountian lions?

Page 98 of Big Game under weapons notes exception for mountain lions for rimfire guns - I believe


Yes, it is legal to take mountain lion or legally trapped gray wolves with a rimfire weapon.  For all other big game, the use of a rimfire would be unlawful.

answered 4/6/2016

Q: Nonresident tag usage.

If a nonresident uses a general elk tag on another species, such as a deer or bear, can that hunter purchase another elk tag and continue hunting?


An adult nonresident elk tag may be used to harvest an elk, bear, mountain lion or gray wolf if  a season is open for that species where and when the elk tag is valid. It cannot be used to harvest a deer.
Hunters can purchase an adult nonresident general season elk tag as a second tag as long as nonresident elk tags available.

answered 1/8/2016

Q: Can resident elk and deer tags be substituted for a wolf tag and are they only valid for that unit or zone?

Nonresident deer and elk tags can be substituted for a wolf, bear, or mountain lion. Can resident tags also be used in this way? And could an elk tag for the snake river zone be attached to a wolf shot in a different zone?


A resident may use an elk or deer tag on a wolf, bear or mountain lion only if it is a RES-NONRES TAG.  This would be a general season nonresident tag purchased as a second tag on or after August 1st.   Both elk or dear and other species must both be in season.

answered 10/12/2015

Q: Bow hunting licenses

Since I am of the age of 65, I can purchase a combination at a reduce price. Why is it not available for a bow license, not a tag. If the state offers a
a lower price for a senior license, why can't they offer it to a bow hunter for the age of 65 and older?


I want to thank you for taking the time to write about the tag and permit fees paid by those holding senior licenses. 
The Department of Fish and Game does not receive any financial support from the state’s general fund. Therefore, the funding for Idaho’s fish and wildlife programs comes solely from you and other anglers and hunters through your purchase of fishing and hunting licenses, tags and permits. The fees collected through the sale of licenses, tags, and permits goes to pay for habitat improvement, population management, Wildlife Management Areas, hundreds of fishing and boating access sites, millions of fish stocked into some of your favorite fishing spots, conservation enforcement and much more.
In 1998, the Idaho State Code was changed to reduce the age requirements for the senior combination license from age 70 to age 65 as long as the individual had domiciled in Idaho for the prior 5 years. Along with this change, the Idaho Code was also changed to reference the items that holders of a Junior, Senior or Disabled American Veteran licenses could purchase at a discount. These items were deer, elk, bear and turkey tags. Below is the Statute.
36-409.  Game tags -- Permits -- Fees -- Penalty. (a) Resident Game Tags. A resident who has obtained authorization to hunt, as provided in section 36-401, Idaho Code, or has purchased or obtained a license to hunt, as provided in section 36-406, Idaho Code, upon payment of the fees provided herein shall be eligible to receive a resident game tag to hunt and kill a moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, elk, deer, antelope, mountain lion, bear, wolf, sandhill crane or turkey in accordance with the laws of this state and rules promulgated by the commission; provided further, that any person who holds a senior resident combination license or any person who holds a junior combination or hunting license or any disabled American veteran who holds a disabled combination license, may be issued a bear, deer, elk, or turkey tag for a fee as specified in section 36-416, Idaho Code; provided further, that resident game tags may be issued only to those persons who meet residency requirements of subsection (s) of section 36-202, Idaho Code. In the event an emergency is declared to open a season to protect private property as provided in section 36-106(e)6.(B), Idaho Code, the affected landowner or his designee shall be eligible to receive a resident deer, elk or antelope tag without charge; provided further, that resident game tags may be issued only to persons who qualify as residents pursuant to section 36-202, Idaho Code.
In the last legislative session, the residency requirements to obtain a senior license was lowered from 5 years to 6 months.
The Department appreciates your support and commitment to help us ensure that Idaho's wildlife will be there for our kids and grandkids to enjoy tomorrow. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions.

answered 9/16/2015

Q: Hunting license and hound permit required

I wanted to know if a hunting license and/or a hound hunting permit are required to pursue raccoons?


Both a hunting license and hound hunter permit are required to pursue raccoons.  Page 99 in the Big Game Rules covers Black Bear and Mountain Lions.  Page 47 in the Upland Game and Furbearer rules states, the following persons must have a valid hound hunter permit in possession when dogs are being used to hunt:
Anyone who owns pursuit dogs
Anyone having control of dogs owned by another person
Anyone that harvests a blackbear, mountain lion, bobcat, raccoon, or fox with the use of dogs, (except clients of licensed outfitters are not required to have a hound hunter permit)
Good Luck hunting!

answered 9/16/2015

Q: Can I harvest a deer and put my non-resident elk tag on it?

I plan to archery hunt elk in an area that is also open for deer. Can I harvest a deer and put my elk tag on it, then go purchase a second elk tag to continue elk hunting?
If this is ok, would I need to take the deer/tag to a field office to exchange the tag?


Can you use a non-resident elk tag to tag a deer if both seasons are open?  The answer is No.  Non-resident deer and elk tags may be used to take a black bear, mountain lion or grey wolf when both seasons are open, but elk tags may not be used on deer.  Page 110 in the Big game regulations explains this in more detail.  If you have any other questions please give us a call.... Good Luck on your elk hunt.

answered 8/19/2015

Q: Can you use a semi-automatic assault rifle to hunt big game (deer, elk, bear, etc.)?

Can you use a semi-automatic assault rifle to hunt big game (deer, elk, bear, etc.)?


Yes you can, as long as it complies with the other restrictions in code and rule, (copied below). There is no restriction in idaho on the number of rounds a firearm can carrry, or restrictions against use of semi-automatics.
No person shall take big game animals as outlined in this section. (7-1-93) 01. Firearms. (7-1-93) a. With any firearm that, in combination with a scope, sling, and/or any other attachments, weighs more than sixteen (16) pounds. (7-1-93) b. With any shotgun using any shot smaller than double-aught (#00) buck. (7-1-93) c. With any rimfire rifle, rimfire handgun or any muzzleloading handgun, EXCEPT for mountain lion and trapped gray wolf. (4-4-13) d. With a fully automatic firearm. (10-26-94) e. With any electronic device attached to, or incorporated in, the firearm (including handguns and shotguns) or scope; except scopes containing battery powered or tritium lighted reticles are allowed. (4-2-08)
- Josh Royse, Regional Conservation Officer, Magic Valley Region

answered 8/6/2015

Q: Out of state Mentored license vs. Passport

I am planning to bring my 17 yr old son to Idaho for his first hunt this fall. He has completed his Hunter Safety Course, but has not ever obtained a hunting license. We will be staying with ,but not necessarily hunting with, his uncle. Would it be best to get a Passport, or does the fact that he has completed the hunters safety course require that he get a Mentor Hunting License?
Additionally, when do the current year season dates come out for Idaho?


If your son has completed all the necessary requirements and is certified in hunter education, but he has never purchased a hunting license in any state before, Idaho's Hunting Passport is a great option.  If he has purchased a license before in any state, he is ineligible to purchase a Hunting Passport and would need to purchase a Junior Mentored Hunting license.     
The 2015 seasons and rules brochure for moose, mountain goat and bighorn sheep brochure is currently available. The big game brochure, with deer, elk, pronghorn, mountain lion, wolf and black bear seasons, is scheduled to ship the week of April 15. Upland game, furbearers and turkey was printed last year and is good through 2015. The fishing brochure is also good through 2015, so hang on to your copy. Waterfowl rules are due to ship the week of September 15. While these are scheduled shipping dates, they may vary slightly. All seasons and rules brochures will be available on Fish and Game's website at the week before arriving at Fish and Game offices and license vendors.
Good luck this fall.   

answered 2/27/2015

Q: Does the motor vehicle restriction still apply to bear and mt. lion?

Does the motor vehicle restriction still apply? I was told by a Warden over a year ago that it no longer applied but there has been no change in the proclamation or in the online rules. Can I use a snowmobile on open trails not open to full size vehicles to look for lion tracks? or to put out a bear bait?


The Motorized Hunting Rule is in effect in certain areas and restricts motorized travel as an aid to hunting big game to "established roadways" which are defined as any road that is established, built, maintained, approved or designated by any governmental entity or private landowner for the purpose of travel by full-sized automobiles.  
In the Southeast Region those areas include big game units 70, 72, 73, 75, 76, 77 and 78.  The rule is in effect from August 1 through December 31 and applies to the hunting of all big game.  The use of a snow machine in the manner you describe would constitute hunting and would be prohibited under the rule during this time period. 
Contact offices at other regions to get more information on their restrictions.
For a full description of the rule see page 105 of the 2014 Big Game Seasons and Rules.

answered 12/12/2014

Q: When did the IFG become a "For Profit" Organization?

It seems to me that the IFG has gotten away from their roots of conservation/recreation and have focused more on turning a profit. The way the hunting seasons are managed and scheduled appear to be geared towards turning maximum profits. As a native Idahoan who remembers the good old days of hunting in Idaho, I am very disappointed that money took over.


Idaho Fish and Game strives to provide hunting seasons that meet a wide variety of hunter’s desires, whether it be for food, trophy animals, or recreational opportunity with friends and family.  Each year, staff review population information and solicit public input (e.g. public meetings, web site, letters, e-mails) to recommend adjustments to the Fish and Game Commission for the upcoming hunting seasons.  Right now, we are asking for public comment through our website  on a number of proposed changes to moose, bighorn sheep, and mountain goat hunting seasons for the 2015 and 2016 seasons.  Beginning in January we will initiate the public scoping process of potential changes to the 2015 deer, elk, pronghorn, black bear, mountain lion, and wolf seasons.  Opportunities to provide input will be available through public meetings and our website.  Additionally, we welcome e-mails, letters, and phone calls that provide specific input on hunting seasons.  Again, thank you for your comment and we hope you have the opportunity to provide input into upcoming hunting season proposals.

answered 12/3/2014

Q: Price for 2015 Black Bear Tags

I see that you have multiple prices for Black Bear. Adult tags are $186, reduced tags are 31.75 and second tags are 31.75. What is the difference between the reduced tags and the adult tags? Does the reduced tags only apply to certain areas where Black Bear populations are up? Or are the reduced tags and second tags the same?


The reduced bear and mountain lion tags are only valid in specific units. See the current years big game proclamation booklets for a list of the units where reduced bear and mountain lion tags are valid. The full price bear and mountain lion tag can be used in any big game management unit that has an open season.

answered 12/1/2014

Q: Wounding animal

if you came across an elk or deer shot by another hunter who's not in sight or is not able to retrieve it , could you shoot it and tag that animal?


This is a very good question! If a wounded animal is located while hunting and it is still alive nothing would prohibit you from taking the animal and tagging it as your own, as long as you have a valid license, tag and or permit for the same animal and area where you are hunting. The hunter who kills the animal and takes it into possession is the hunter who should legally tag the animal. However, this becomes a question of ethics and sportsmanship at times. Idaho Law requires hunters who wound or kill animals to make a "reasonable effort to retrieve" the animal and reduce it to possession. In addition all hunters are required to remove and care for the edible meat of big game animals, except bear, mountain lion and gray wolves. (See Pg 97 "Wounding and Retrieving" of the 2014 Big Game seasons and Rules).  If you know someone else is tracking the animal you may want to let the hunter who wounded the animal have their opportunity to retrieve the animal they wounded, especially if the animal is unable to move and you know the hunter is actively tracking the animal. If the animal is already dead but fresh and salvageable I would suggest reporting it immediately to a Conservation officer as the dead animal may be part of a violation. You cannot legally tag or possess an animal killed by another hunter.

answered 11/25/2014

Q: Is it legal to ship a pheasant to a taxidermist that is out of state?

I am a beginning taxidermist and would like to obtain specimens for practice. Where can I find out which animals are legal for me to ship/ receive.


I am the Chief of Enforcement for Idaho Department of Fish and Game.  Please contact us so we can send you a packet of information regarding your question.  208-334-3736
For your reference please review Chapter 6, Title 36, Idaho Code.
I also recommend reviewing Chapter 5, Title 36, Idaho Code.
Idaho Administrative Code has rules governing the importation, possession, release, sale, or salvage of Wildlife.
300.RECOVERY, POSSESSION AND SALE OF WILDLIFE PARTS.01. Wildlife Legally Killed. a. The possession, sale and purchase of wildlife or parts of wildlife that have been legally killed is lawful except as provided below and as provided in Chapter 5, Title 36, Idaho Code. i. The edible flesh of wildlife classified as big game animals, upland game animals, game birds, migratory birds, or rattlesnakes taken from the wild may not be purchased, bartered or sold. ii. The edible flesh of wildlife classified as game fish or crustacea that are taken from the wild may not be purchased, bartered or sold except as provided in Idaho Code Sections 36-501 and 36-801 through 36-805 and rules promulgated pursuant thereto. iii. The annual sale by holders of a valid Idaho hunting, trapping or combination hunting and fishing license of up to six (6) skins of legally taken rattlesnakes is lawful pursuant to IDAPA 13.01.06, “Classification and Protection of Wildlife,” Subsection 300.02 and Subsection 100.06 of this rule. b. A written statement showing the taker’s name, address, license and tag numbers, date and location of kill, signed by the taker, must be provided to the buyer of any black bear or mountain lion head, hide or parts (except tanned hides finished into rugs or mounts). A copy of the sales statement must be forwarded by the buyer to the Idaho Department of Fish and Game within ten (10) days after such sale. A department CE-50, Statement of Sale/Purchase of Wildlife Parts, may be used in lieu of a sales statement. c. Persons possessing a taxidermist or fur buyer license shall keep a record for two (2) years from the date the wildlife was received for mounting or preservation, furbearers purchased and raw black bear skins, raw mountain lion skins or parts of black bears or mountain lions purchased. Records may be written or retained on media other than paper and must comply with standards set forth in Section 9-328, Idaho Code. Copies of sales statements as per Subsection 300.01.b. satisfy provisions of this rule. 

answered 11/22/2014

Q: Is a furbearer license required?

If I am hunting coyotes, and a bob cat, red fox, wolf, or mountain lion, comes to an electronic call, can I take that animal without a furbearer's license? I understand a tag will be required to harvest a wolf or mountain lion.


For those species that can be hunted such as bobcat, fox, coyote, wolf, and lion, a trapping license is not required.  We do not have a furbearer license, only a trapping license that is required for trapping furbearers.  Please be sure to check the rules on fox as some counties in the state, i.e. Adams and Valley County have fox hunting restrictions.  You may find the rules on furbearers at:

answered 11/9/2014

Q: Proper tagging of Deer elk and pronghorn

The Regs say:the....tag must be validated and securely attached to the animal IMMEDIATELY after the kill. The validated tag must remain attached to the carcass until the meat is processed AND reaches the place of final storage or personal consumption......Attach to the largest portion of the carcass.
There a few things that are unclear regarding these rules.
Define "immediately". If I were to literally immediately attach it to the animal it would be on the hide since I have not cut the animal open. (on that same note, what is the best method of actually "attaching" the tag? do you cut a notch in the hide or what?). It would make sense if I were transporting the entire animal AS IS, but if I am needing to cut the animal up in quarters, then this means that I will end up removing the hide, thereby removing the tag from the "largest portion of the carcass". So, do I then just take the tag off the hid and re-attach it to the largest portion of the carcass since now that the hide is off, it is no longer the "carcass" or can "immediately" attaching it mean once I am able to attach it to the carcass with the hide off? It appears that in this situation it is impossible to actually follow the law to allow the tag to "remain attached to the carcass" since you would have to remove it from the hide and re-attach it to the actual carcass.
Again, some examples of how to properly tag the animal would be helpful, and this law should be updated with more clarity.


Once you have killed  any species of willdife that requires a tag to hunt (all big game species and turkey) the hunter must immediatley validate  their tag and attach it either to the carcass for most big game species or to the animal's hide for bear, lion and wolf.   The term immediatley  is defined as either being "without delay" or "with nothing in between".  So once you have killed your animal the rules  require that the next thing to be done, without delay, is to validate your game tag and attach it to either the carcass or the hide. Be sure to cleanly and completely  remove the corresponding triangles  for the day and month to designate the date of harvest. The game tag has a pair of perforated holes that can be used to secure the tag to the carcass with wire or twine.  When field dressing the animal,  you may reposition the validated tag to ensure that it remains attached to the the largest portion of the carcass.   The tag must remain attached during transit to a place of processing and must remain attached until the meat is processed. The validated tag must accompany the processed meat to the place of final storage or final consumption. 
The rules regarding the tagging of big game animals are addressed in Idaho Code 36-409(d) and Idaho Administrative Code 
Idaho code 36-409(d)  Game Tag to Be Validated and Attached to Carcass. As soon as any person kills any wildlife for which a tag is required, said tag, belonging to him, must be validated and attached to said wildlife in a manner provided by commission rule.
01. Tag. Immediately after any deer, elk, pronghorn, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, mountain lion, black bear, or gray wolf is killed, the appropriate big game animal tag must be validated and securely attached to the animal. (4-7-11)
a. Validation. Cut out and completely remove only the two (2) triangles indicating the date and month of kill. (7-1-93)
b. Attachment of Tag. (7-1-93)
i. Deer, elk, pronghorn, moose, mountain goat, black bear, and bighorn sheep: to the largest portion of the edible meat to be retained by the hunter or any person transporting for the hunter. The tag must remain attached during transit to a place of processing and must remain attached until the meat is processed. The validated tag must accompany the processed meat to the place of final storage or final consumption.
ii. Mountain lion, black bear, and gray wolf: To the hide.
02. Proxy Statement. Any person transporting or possessing any portion of a carcass of a big game animal or processed big game animal meat taken by another must have in possession a written statement signed by the taker showing the number and kinds of animals, the date taken, the taker's name and address, the taker's hunting license number, and the taker's tag number.

answered 10/25/2014

Q: .22 Caliber

I recently saw an answer posted that stated, "No, it is unlawful to take deer with a .22 caliber weapon. This bullet does not possess enough mass and the charge does not create enough velocity to achieve adequate penetration".
I don't believe the regulations prohibit the use of a .22 caliber rifle, but rather state that a rimfire cartridge is illegal for the taking of big game. I believe that a .223 would be legal for the taking of Deer or Antelope. Is this correct?


It is unlawful to pursue or kill big game animals with any rimfire rifle or rimefire handgun.  Center fired rifles are lawful: examples are .22-250 and .223.  There are exceptions for mountain lion and legally trapped wolves; see big game rules.

answered 10/19/2014

Q: Non residency elk tag and black bears

If I buy a non-residency elk tag in Idaho, I know I can take a black bear / deer or mountain lion instead of an elk, but if I kill a black bear / deer or mountain lion will I then need to go and buy another elk tag? Or will I still be able to harvest an elk?


The elk tag can only be used to harvest an elk, bear, lion or wolf as long as there is a season for elk and the species harvested such as bear. An elk tag cannot be used to harvest a deer. In addition, once the tag has been used to harvest an animal it cannot be used again.
You can purchase a second general season elk tag to continue to hunt for elk.

answered 9/11/2014

Q: Trapping [general questions]

I'm in the southeast region, and I was wondering when the trapping season officially starts. I am licensed but every year I start to late in the season so I want to start in the beginning this year. What tags do I need to trap mountain lion/and wolf. And what tags or permit do I need to start a ADC private business do I need to contact the fish and game or city hall? Thank you for your time.


Trapping rules and seasons can be found on our website at: .  Seasons for different species start at different times.  You cannot trap mountain lions legally.  However, you can trap wolves but you must first attend a mandatory wolf trapping class offered around the state.  To trap any animal, you will need to purchase a trapping license.  You can also purchase wolf tags.

answered 8/26/2014

Q: Backpacking in the Sawtooth Range

I would like to avoid hunting season when backpacking in the Sawtooth Range in Sept 2014. What are dates to avoid?


       IDFG offers a wide variety of hunting seasons in the fall, including several that run the entire throughout the month of September. For example the archery season for both deer and elk opens Aug 30 and runs through the end of Septmeber. For the most part, archers will be wildly dispersedand should not be a concern. Additionally, we offer a small number of tags to Mountain Goat hunters--that season runs Aug 30 - Nov 12. These hunters are very few in number and will be dispersed among the most rugged terrain.We also have mountain lion, black bear, and wolf seasons that open Aug 30 and run through the fall or into winter. Although the area is open to hunting in this area, participation during September is very low. Finally, we do have a rifle hunt for mule deer with 200 hunters who could potentially be hunting in the western portion of the Sawtooth Range (eastern part of Game Management Unit 39). Unit 39 is a large geographic area on the western edge of the Sawtooth Range--only a very small portion of the hunters are likely to venture in to the Sawtooth portion of the hunt area, and the open area is well-removed from the more popular hiking trails.
September is a beautiful time of year to recreate in the Sawtooths. I have spent many days in the Sawtooths during September without ever seeing a hunter.
There are a small number of hunters in a controlled hunt for mule deer that could be present in a portion of the s

answered 8/23/2014

Q: When packing-out an elk in two trips, where should the tag be? With the meat in my pack, or with the meat still on the mountain?

I cannot pack-out an entire elk on my own in just one trip down the mountain. If I need to make several trips up and down the mountain in order to get all of the meat into my campsite, what is the proper manner of tagging said meat? Certainly I will notch the tag at the harvest site, but subsequently, do I keep the tag with whichever load of meat is upon my person, or do I leave the tag at the campsite with the first load of meat brought down? Or do I leave the tag at the harvest site until the final load of meat is packed-out? What is the proper protocol?


It must remain attached to the largeste portion of edible meat.  
TAG VALIDATION AND ATTACHMENT AND PROXY STATEMENT.Immediately after any deer, elk, pronghorn, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, mountain lion, black bear, or gray wolf is killed, the appropriate big game animal tag must be validated and securely attached to the animal. a. Validation. Cut out and completely remove only the two (2) triangles indicating the date and month of kill.b. Attachment of Tag. i. Deer, elk, pronghorn, moose, mountain goat, black bear, and bighorn sheep: to the largest portion of the edible meat to be retained by the hunter or any person transporting for the hunter. The tag must remain attachedduring transit to a place of processing and must remain attached until the meat is processed. The validated tag must accompany the processed meat to the place of final storage or final consumption.

answered 8/13/2014

Q: Nuisance mountain lion

What do you do if a mountain lion cub starts coming to your house following your animals? Can they be relocated or will they just be shot?


The disposition of the animal would depend on several factors including the age and health of the mountain lion.  It may be possible to trap and relocate or tree, dart, and relocate it.  If the animal was in poor condition and unlikely to survive, the most humane thing would be to put the animal down (kill it).
The best course of action is to remove any reason for the animal to be there and/or haze the animal so that it leaves.  If pets can be restricted to indoors for a time or domestic livestock secured to make it difficult for a mountain lion to get close that may solve things.  The ability to do that, of course, depends on individual circumstances.  You can also contact the Fish and Game regional office for advice on hazing techniques that will discourage the animal from staying around.
From a legal standpoint, if an animal is threatening domestic livestock the responsibility for any control action goes to Wildlife Services which operates under the Dept of Agriculture.

answered 8/12/2014

Q: Uses of second nonresident deer tag

If you are a resident and buy a second nonresident deer tag can it be used on bear, wolf, or mountain lion as long as the seasons coincide with each other?


Yes, the second general season nonresident deer or elk tag can be used to harvest the species the tag is for one of the species you list as long as there is a season for both the species of the tag and the species you harvest such as bear.

answered 7/27/2014

Q: Sharing hound and bait permits

My Daughter just turned 10 and Got her hunting licence. May she hunt a bear off my bait permit and hound hunter permit or does she need to get her own?


Your daughter does not need to purchase a baiting permit and can hunt off another’s bait.  However, she will need to purchase a hound hunter permit.  The following is on page 101 of the 2014 Big Game Seasons and Rules booklet:
Hound Hunter Permit
When dogs are being used to hunt black bears or mountain lions, the following persons must have a valid hound hunter permit and a black bear or mountain lion tag for the current year in possession:
• Anyone who owns pursuit dogs.
• Anyone having control of dogs owned by another person.
• Anyone who harvests a black bear, mountain lion, bobcat, raccoon, or fox with the use of dogs. Except, clients of
licensed outfitters are not required to have a hound hunter permit.

answered 6/20/2014

Q: Semantics ["harvest" or "control actions"]

Why use terms like "harvest" and "control actions" when you are talking about killing?


The basis of active wildlife management is to monitor various populations for reproductive and mortality rates in order to determine how many animals can be taken (harvested) while still maintaining a healthy overall population.  Control actions are sometimes needed when wildlife populations grow to large for habitats, when one species causes another species to decline, or in cases where wildlife come into conflict with humans such as causing damage to crops or creating public safety concerns.  Not all control actions are lethal.  For instance, it is usually possible to capture, remove and relocate a big game animal such as a moose from an urban area.  However, removing and relocating mountain lion from the same area can be more problematic because a lion will likely return.

answered 5/31/2014

Q: Can I purchase both a deer and elk over the counter tag for the same season?

I want to know if I can buy both a deer and elk tag in hopes of getting one or the other.


Yes. You will need to read the big game season proclamations for season dates. Some elk zones have limited numbers of tags available and hunters can purchase tags until the quotas are sold out. Hunters can purchase deer, elk, bear, mtn lion, wolf, and turkey tags over the counter.

answered 5/30/2014