What are the steps I need to follow to get a cow elk tag?

I want to know how to get a cow tag.


How to Apply for a Controlled Hunt--Deer, Elk, Pronghorn, fall Bear
Big game rules for the current year come out each April.
Check the general season information (listed by species) to see if the over-the-counter general season has a hunt you want to participate in.
If there isn’t a hunt listed for the general season that you are interested in, go to the controlled hunt listings.  Each hunt listing details the hunt number, unit/area of the hunt, weapon information and specifics about the legal animal that can be harvested in the hunt.
When you have chosen a controlled hunt, you can apply for it from May 1 through June 5.  You must have an Idaho hunting license.  Up to 4 hunters can apply on the same application form for deer, elk or pronghorn hunts (only 2 hunters can apply together for the fall bear hunt). Each applicant pays an application fee ($6.25 for residents, $14.75 for nonresidents).
You can apply online, by mail, by phone (1-800-554-8685) or through an Idaho license vendor.
Applicants who are drawn will be sent a postcard; everyone who applied can look up the results on the IDFG website starting July 10.  If you are drawn you must purchase the controlled hunt tag by August 1.  Tags not picked up by then will be forfeited and will go into a second draw held in August.

Answered on: 
Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 12:00 PM MST