What do I do with a Red Ear Slider Turtle that I don't want anymore?

i wanted to give away a red ear slider turtle. The pet store said "dont bring it here". they said we need a permit. what if i dont want the turtle anymore?


The red ear slider turtle in an invasive species.   Please read the following:

We are allowing people with existing turtles to obtain a "grandfather" permit. It is here: http://www.agri.idaho.gov/AGRI/Categories/Environment/InvasiveSpeciesCouncil/documents/Red-EaredSlider_Possesion%20Permit.pdf 

It stipulates that: By signing, you agree to and certify the following:

That you will not acquire additional Red-Eared Sliders;

That you will not propagate the Red-Eared Slider(s);

That you will not sell, give away, or otherwise transfer the Red-Eared Slider(s);

That you will contact ISDA at the death of the Red-Eared Slider(s); and

That if you decide to voluntarily surrender possession of the Red-Eared Slider(s) you will contact ISDA to arrange for proper disposal.

Please contact the Idaho Dept of Agriculture if you have further questions.  The number is 332-8620.

Answered on: 
Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 4:00 PM MDT