Non resident elk process

What is the process for a nonresident to get an elk tag for fall of 2014 currently for bull or an either sex tag for public land.


General Season Elk tags in Idaho are sold by the zone and only the zone purchased may be hunted.  The zone tags will dictate the season dates, which sex may be hunted, and the weapon(s) which may be used.  Each zone has an A Tag and a B Tag.  However, some A Tags and B Tags are by Controlled Hunt only.   In order to determine which tag you wish to purchase, you will need to consult the regulations.  The General Season Non-Resident Elk Tags are limited and sold on a first-come, first-served basis.  Licenses and tags may be purchased on-line, by phone or in person at one of our instate vendors.  In order to determine land ownership, you can consult the Idaho Hunt Planner section of our website.  If you need more information or wish to request a copy of the current year regulations, please call 208-334-3700 or email

Answered on: 
Monday, March 17, 2014 - 9:43 AM MDT