My husband would like to become a game warden in Idaho

We are wondering what would be the best route to go to become a Game Warden? He still needs to go through schooling but we are wondering, since we are on a tight budget, if there is a specific school or classes that would be best. This is a job he would excel in and Northern Idaho is a dream spot for us. We currently live in Washington State. Are there any programs he could start to get his foot in the door? Any information would be great. Thank you!


The Conservation Office (game warden) is a high sought-after position. 
To qualify, you need to have a bachelors degree and at least four upper division classes with a fish/wildlife/natural resource emphasis.  A degree in fish or wildlife management or closely related field is a plus.
After screening the applications, we narrow the field to the most qualified people.  We then conduct background checks to verify no major legal violations that would interfer with their enforcement of laws.
Next, we conduct interviews and assess physical fittness to make sure they can meet minimum standards for an Idaho peace officer.
The next step for the select few is a physicologic evaluation.
If hired, we then assign the Officer to a patrol area and schedule them to attend Peace Officer Standard Training (POST).  After POST, you are assigned to a Field Training Officer (FTO) for evaluation.  If the FTO agrees that you are a competitant officer - then you have become an Idaho Department of Fish and Game Conservation Officer.

Answered on: 
Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 12:26 PM MDT