My hunting partner did not draw a big game controlled hunt this year and has picked what he thinks is a hot prospect in a general hunt. He wants me to go along but I drew a hunt. How do I cancel my controlled hunt so I can buy a general tag?


You can simply ignore purchasing your controlled hunt tag and pick up a general tag when they become available on August 2. Or you can fill out an affidavit at any Idaho Fish and Game office to cancel your controlled hunt now. The usual reason to hurry on this is because tags may sell out soon in elk hunting zones that are capped, meaning that only a set number of tags will be issued in those zones. Residents may purchase general season tags now, unless they have drawn a controlled hunt, in which case they cannot purchase the general season tag for the species they have drawn before August 2.

Answered on: 
Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 6:00 PM MDT