Being an out of state hunter I was wondering why you don't offer a rebate on the license which is required prior to purchasing or entering the draw process, because if you are not drawn for a hunt area, you essentially cannot hunt.


The Idaho Department of Fish and Game (IDFG) requires a hunting license to be purchased by both residents and nonresidents prior to applying for a controlled hunt. Neither group receives a refund of the license fees once the license has been used to apply for a controlled hunt.
IDFG does offer over the counter hunts in a majority of the state. Individuals who are not drawn in the controlled hunt process may purchase general season deer and/or elk tags. IDFG also has many other hunting opportunities such as turkey, black bear and mountain lion. If you would like additional information about our general season hunts, you may visit our hunting page at or contact our license section at 208-334-2592.

Answered on: 
Friday, December 13, 2013 - 8:11 AM MST