Is it legal to keep road kill in Idaho?


Yes.  Game animals, predatory wildlife and unprotect species (see list) may be salvaged.

Notifying Fish and Game within 24 hours and obtaining a salvage permit within 72 hours is a legal requirement to lawfully possess salvaged wildlife.   
You must report a wildlife salvage by going online to, which will direct you to a free self-generating permit that you can print.  A copy of the permit must accompany the salvaged wildlife.  A copy of the report will be sent electronically to the local IDFG office. 
Reporting a wildlife salvage can also be made by contacting your nearest IDFG regional office, conservation officer, or other Fish and Game employee within 24 hours.  If contacting Fish and Game by phone outside normal business hours, it’s critical that you leave your full name, phone number, address, and location of salvage so a permit can be issued to you within 72 hours.     
In addition to reporting a wildlife salvage, the following wildlife parts must be presented to your nearest IDFG office to satisfy mandatory harvest tagging/pinning report requirements: 




Moose, Mountain Goat, Bighorn Sheep               

Antlers or horns

Within 10 days of salvage

Mountain Lion, Black Bear,  Wolf 

Skull and pelt

Within 10 days of salvage

River Otter

Thawed pelt

With 72 hours of salvage


Thawed pelt

Within 10 days of salvage

Contact your nearest IDFG regional office to make arrangements.


Answered on: 
Friday, September 7, 2012 - 9:04 AM MDT