I put in for moose but didn't get the draw. This prevented me from getting an elk or deer tag which cost F&G $ and me the ability to hunt. Are you going to change this?


When a hunter puts in for a moose tag or another trophy species ( Mountain Goat or Bighorn Sheep), it does not prevent them from then getting a general elk or deer tag. All the general tags are still available for you to purchase, even after you've applied for a trophy species. The only limitation that happens when applying for a trophy species tag is that you are not allowed to apply for the deer, elk or antelope controlled permits in the same year (except for unlimited controlled hunts). The reason that we do not allow hunters to apply for both trophy species and controlled big game hunts in the same year is to help increase everyone's odds of drawing from either group of  controlled tags. Despite the fact that not everyone can draw those very sought after trophy tags, Idaho does have some of the best drawing odds for trophy species in the West. You can still purchase general tags for deer and elk, or leftover tags in any of the drawings.

Answered on: 
Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 11:18 AM MST