I found a dead wolf along side of the road and was wondering if it is legal to take the head ?


Yes, but notifying Fish and Game within 24 hours and obtaining a free salvage permit within 72 hours is a legal requirement to lawfully possess salvaged wildlife.   
Within 24 hours, you must report the wolf salvage by going online to fishandgame.idaho.gov/roadkill, which will direct you to a free, self-generating permit that you can print.  A copy of the permit must accompany the salvaged wildlife. 
You can also report the wolf salvage by contacting your nearest IDFG regional office, conservation officer, or other Fish and Game employee within 24 hours.  If contacting Fish and Game by phone outside normal business hours, it’s critical you leave your full name, phone number, address, and location of salvage so a permit can be issued and mailed to you within 72 hours.     
In addition to reporting the wolf salvage and receiving the permit, the wolf skull must be presented to your nearest IDFG office within 10 days to satisfy mandatory harvest tagging/pinning report requirements.  

Answered on: 
Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 1:14 PM MDT