Do I need to get the permit before I pick up the roadkill?

If I come upon or hit an animal, do I have to notify the IDF&G before I harvest the animal. If so, the roadkill may be taken by predators or spoil before I can return for it.


No.  After picking up the animal, you have 24 hours to notify Fish and Game, and 72 hours to obtain a salvage permit. You may self-report online at or call IDFG to report.
If contacting Fish and Game by phone outside normal business hours, it’s critical you leave your full name, phone number, address, and location of salvage so a permit can be issued and mailed to you within 72 hours.    
The Salvage permit is free.

Answered on: 
Tuesday, October 23, 2012 - 11:11 AM MDT