Can I get a spotlight permit for hunting coyotes, and how much would it cost. Is there any place near Burley, ID I can get one.


A spotlight permit is available through your IDFG regional office. It is titled "Permit to Hunt With Artificial Light", and the cost is $1.75. Typically these permits are issued by the Regional Conservation Officer or regional Supervisor for the area. These permits are not readily given out because, as you might imagine, there are lots of opportunities for conflicts to arise with this type of activity. Some of the Department concerns that are taken into account when deciding to issue these permits are: the potential to injure other people, the potential to disturb or kill game animals,  the potential to disturb or damage private property (buildings, livestock, irrigation systems etc.), and the potential to trigger poaching complaints. There are other conditions that must be met for the permit to be issued as well including: prior notification to the Department of hunting activity, hunting activity is restricted to certain weapon types, and cannot occur during any general or controlled hunt for deer, elk, pronghorn, moose, or big horn sheep. This permit would not allow access to private property without permission, and an individual with written permission by the landowner would not need a permit to hunt coyotes with artificial light exclusively on that private property. Areas requested for hunting with artificial light are considered on a case-by-case basis, and I would encourage you to contact the Magic Valley Regional office at 324-4359. Thanks for the question.

Answered on: 
Friday, March 21, 2014 - 11:06 AM MDT