atv use on federal land

Is it legal to drive an atv off road to reach a hunting area in unit 10? Any atv licenses required for a non resident?


Use of ATVs off of established roadways is regulated by the specific agency or landowner that owns the property.  Most of Unit 10 is federally owned by the U.S. Forest Service, therefore they have the say with respect to motorized access; Potlatch Timber Corporation and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers also own land in the western end of the unit.  There are only a limited number of maintained roads in the unit and off-road use is also limited due to the rugged nature of the terrain.  For specific details on travel management, I suggest you contact the management agency directly.  With respect to ATV licensing requirements, a valid Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation (IDPR) OHV sticker or current sticker from the owner's state of residence is required.  If the home state of residence does not have an OHV registration program, then you must have an IDPR OHV registration sticker.

Answered on: 
Friday, February 22, 2013 - 1:17 PM MST