Under new rules, there are three types of turkey tags available each calendar year: general tag, extra tag and special unit tag. A hunter may purchase one general tag, two extra tags, and three special unit tags.
Here’s how each tag can be used:
- The general tag and one extra tag may be used during the spring general season.
- However, if one or both go unused, the unused tag(s) may be used during the general fall season.
- A second extra tag may also be used during the general fall season.
- A general tag, or an extra tag, may be used with a controlled hunt permit in the spring and fall seasons.
- Special unit tags may be used in designated units during any season set by the Commission.
Fall general turkey hunts open Aug. 30 in most of the Panhandle and Clearwater, and Sept. 15 in other parts of the state. Here are season dates and maps of open units, as well as other information regarding turkey hunting.