About the position
The Idaho Department of Fish and Game is seeking a temporary (benefited) Wildlife Technician to work as part of a team to perform technical and physical duties regarding wildlife habitat management on Deer Parks Wildlife Mitigation Unit (DPWMU), Cartier Slough Wildlife Management Area (CSWMA) and four Access areas.
The individual selected for this position will be responsible for assisting a Regional Habitat Biologist (RWHB) with the operation of said properties and other duties as assigned.
Duration: Variable (April to mid-September) start and end dates may vary. Tentative start date 06/07/2021 not to exceed 1385 hours.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Completing habitat manipulations as per direction of the Regional Wildlife Habitat Biologist.
- Conducting population surveys on a variety of wildlife species.
- Quantifying vegetative communities.
- Waterfowl nesting structure maintenance
- Monitoring and facilitating public use of the property.
- Light construction, equipment maintenance and repair.
- Other duties as assigned.
The applicant must have completed at least two years of college coursework in an accredited wildlife biology program or closely related field. Strong preference will be given to individuals who have completed a Bachelor of Science degree. Additionally the applicant must have:
- Working knowledge of wildlife survey methods acquired through coursework or experience.
- The ability to accurately identify wildlife species.
- Some knowledge of vegetation survey methods and plant taxonomy.
- The physical ability to engage in strenuous work for extended periods of time including work in adverse weather conditions and work involving lifting and carrying heavy loads.
- A valid driver’s license.
- Must acquire a Professional Herbicide Applicators license within 60 days of hire.
Applicants will be given additional consideration if they have experience:
- Performing habitat improvement activities.
- Operating, maintaining, repairing 4x4 vehicles, ATV's, boats, and farm equipment.
- Using power tools and completing small construction projects.