About the position
The Department of Fish and Game is seeking a Fish Hatchery Manager 2 for the Hayspur Fish Hatchery in Bellevue, Idaho.
Please Note: This announcement will be used to fill the current opening for Fish Hatchery Manager 2 in Bellevue and may also be used to fill future Statewide vacancies.
To learn more about the Idaho Department of Fish and Games' various hatcheries throughout the state, please click here.
- Hatchery management - Typical responsibilities: hires and trains staff; assigns work and evaluates performance; develops and monitors budget; maintains records and prepares reports on hatchery operation; ensures inventories, equipment, and capital improvements are properly maintained; coordinates hatchery operation with other department functions; provides input on new hatchery designs; ensures safety requirements are met.
- Aquaculture - Typical responsibilities: monitors fish development; develops feeding schedules needed for specified growth rates; observes fish for signs of disease or stress; develops and implements prophylactic and control measures for fish diseases; distributes fish to assigned planting areas.
- Public relations - Typical responsibilities: meets with federal and state officials to establish priorities for fish production and coordinate research projects; makes presentations to interested groups and technical committees; conducts hatchery tours, explains operations and answers questions.
- Experience: supervising and evaluating performance of a staff engaged in a fish rearing operation; training others in various aspects of fish hatchery operation; developing and monitoring a budget; recognizing abnormal behavior and disease symptoms of fish and implementing measures for disease control; identifying and determining nutritional and growth requirements of fish and calculating their feeding rates; spawning and stocking fish; operating fish transport-type equipment.
- Valid driver's license.
- Some of the Fish Hatchery Manager 2 positions require obtaining a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) before completion of the probationary period. The current opening at Hayspur Fish Hatchery does not require a CDL.
- Experience writing technical reports.
- Experience in public relation tasks.