About the position
SPECIAL NOTIFICATION: This position is exempt from classified state service and the rules of the Division of Human Resources and the Idaho Personnel Commission.
The Department of Fish and Game is seeking a Communications Bureau Chief to provide leadership to diverse statewide programs encompassing communications, outreach, and marketing at our Headquarters in Boise.
The COM Bureau is responsible for coordinating dissemination of information to reflect the department's brand, while clearly articulating who we are, what we do, and why we do it. The COM Bureau plays a critical role to inform, educate and promote department activities, products, and services with a focus on active participation in, and support for, hunting, fishing, and trapping recreation in the State of Idaho. The Bureau Chief will implement marketing and communication strategies to support the Idaho Fish and Game mission. This position will also provide strategic leadership and high level customer serve to serve both internal and external customer needs. The Bureau Chief will set the direction for coordinated statewide and regional messaging to meet COM bureau priorities. In addition, The Bureau Chief participates in high-level decision making as a member of the management operations team.
- Manages bureau programs affecting communication, outreach, and marketing throughout the department.
- Ensures integration of COM programs to efficiently and effectively deliver high priority deliverables and outcomes.
- Provides oversight to information and communication strategies for department or commission public information.
- Understands, develops and manages the bureau budget.
- Provides leadership in the development of strategy to educate and advance customer engagement and promote department products and services to increase revenue.
- Coordinates closely with department leadership in the development and implementation of mission-centric educational components.
- Some knowledge of fish and wildlife management practices.
- Some knowledge of marketing principles including use of diverse medium; advertising, research, and evaluation methods.
- Some knowledge of communication and public information methods including statutory expectation and management.
- Considerable knowledge of management and demonstrated leadership skills.
- Experience supervising a professional staff.
- Experience developing and recommending programs in a natural resource environment to inform, educate, and promote products, services, and opportunities.
The ideal candidate will also having the following:
- Strong background in the natural resource arena providing leadership to various programs in public information, outreach, education, and marketing.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate programs and collaborate across functions to deliver high quality outcomes.
- Personal experience that demonstrates an understanding and appreciation of hunting, fishing, and trapping as well as the value of professionally managed fish and wildlife resources.
- Some understanding and application of 3R (recruitment, retention, reactivation) principles and practices for fish and wildlife agencies.
- Ability to evaluate complex alternatives, prioritize projects, and deliver customer focused results.