Turkey Controlled Hunt Youth Only Season

Hunt Area 71
Turkey Controlled Hunt 9019 100 Tags

9/15/2019 - 12/31/2019

Wild Turkey (Meleagris gallopavo)
Either-sex Wild Turkey
Either sex may be taken.
Shotgun or Archery
No person shall take upland game birds:
  • Except wild turkey, from one-half (1/2) hour after sunset to one-half (1/2) hour before sunrise. Wild turkey shall not be taken between sunset and one-half (1/2) hour before sunrise.
  • With a trap, snare, net, crossbow, or firearms EXCEPT a shotgun using shells not exceeding three and one-half (3-1/2) inches maximum length, slingshot, hand-held or thrown missiles, EXCEPT forest grouse. Forest grouse shall not be taken with a trap, snare, net, or crossbow. Crossbow may be used to take forest grouse by a person who possesses a Disabled Persons Archery Hunting Permit or a Special Weapon Reasonable Modification Hunting Permit authorizing use of a crossbow or by a person hunting in an area where crossbow is a lawful method of take for big game.
  • From any watercraft.
  • By the use or aid of any electronic call.
  • By the aid of baiting. Bait is defined as any substance placed to attract upland game birds.
  • When hunting on Wildlife Management Areas where pheasants are stocked without wearing at least thirty-six (36) square inches of visible hunter orange above the waist.

In addition to the methods listed above, wild turkey may not be taken:
  • With lead shot exceeding BB size.
  • With steel shot exceeding T size.
  • By the use of dogs, except during fall hunts.


The daily bag limit is two bearded turkeys per day in the spring. In the fall, the daily bag limit is equal to the number of tags possessed. No more than two bearded turkeys may be taken per spring. The most tags one hunter may possess in one year is six.

Hunt Area 71
All of Unit 71. Area Size: 338,653 acres
pdf View a High Resolution Adobe PDF Map of Hunt Area 71
More information about the Game Management Unit(s) in this hunt: 71

Resident Tags and Permits

  • Adult Turkey - General Tag
  • Jr./Sr./DAV Turkey Tag
  • Controlled Hunt Application Fee
  • Controlled Hunt Permit* (required if successful in drawing)
  • Handicapped Motor Vehicle Permit*

NonResident Tags and Permits

  • Junior Mentored Turkey Tag
  • Adult Turkey - General Tag
  • Controlled Hunt Application Fee
  • Handicapped Motor Vehicle Permit*
  • Controlled Hunt Permit* (required if successful in drawing)

A valid hunting license is required for all hunting and trapping activities.
* Indicates this item is optional.

Where to purchase

Learn more about IDFG Licenses, Tags & Permits

Surface Management

For government land, these data show the managing agency of the land, which may or not be the same as the owning agency.

Graph illustrating 34.6 percent Private 117,170 acres   34.6%
Graph illustrating 22.48 percent Indian Reservation / Bureau of Indian Affairs 76,125 acres   22.5%
Graph illustrating 21.19 percent U.S. Forest Service (USFS) 71,763 acres   21.2%
Graph illustrating 10.48 percent U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) 35,484 acres   10.5%
Graph illustrating 9.08 percent Indian Reservation / Bureau of Indian Affairs 30,758 acres   9.1%
Graph illustrating 1.18 percent State of Idaho 3,991 acres   1.2%
Graph illustrating 0.99 percent State of Idaho 3,362 acres   1%

Make your own map of Hunt Area 71 Turkey Controlled Hunt 9019
Land management via Inside Idaho

Access Yes! Properties

Access Yes! is Fish and Game program designed to improve hunting and fishing access to private land or through private land to public land by compensating willing landowners who provide access.

No properties are currently available in this hunt area.
View all Access Yes Participants.

Federally-designated Wilderness Areas

No motorized vehicles are allowed in these areas.

There are no wilderness areas in this hunt.