Elk Controlled Hunt Landowner Permission Required Extra Antlerless Season

Hunt Area 49-1X
Elk Controlled Hunt 2187 100 Tags

Non-resident tag quota of 12,815 total elk tags. See the Nonresident Tag Quotas for availability.

11/1/2019 - 12/31/2019

Elk (Cervus canadensis)
Antlerless Elk
Only elk without antlers or with antlers shorter than 6 inches may be taken in any season which is open for antlerless elk only.
Any Weapon
Rifle, Archery, Muzzleloader, Shotgun, or Handgun.

  • Landowner Permission Hunt. Written permission from landowner who owns more than 159 acres in the hunt area is required to apply for this hunt. Landowner Permission Hunt Permits will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis at the Nampa, McCall and headquarters IDFG offices starting July 15. Do not apply for this hunt during the controlled hunt application period.

Private land ONLY. Landowner Permission Required see page 111 of the Big Game Seasons and Rules Booklet).

Hunt Area 49-1X
Private land within the following boundaries: All of Unit 49; that portion of Unit 52A within Blaine County within the Little Wood, Fish Creek, and Huff Creek drainages; that portion of Unit 48 south of the Warm Springs drainage and within the Big Wood River drainage; and that portion of Unit 50 within the Copper Creek drainage. Area Size: 568,549 acres
pdf View a High Resolution Adobe PDF Map of Hunt Area 49-1X
More information about the Game Management Unit(s) in this hunt: 48 49 50 52A

Controlled Hunt Harvest Statistics

Year Hunt# Area Hunters Harvest Success% Days Antlered Antlerless %Spike %6+Pts
2018 2215 49-1X 93 47 51 515 47
2018 2216 49-1X 40 26 65 171 26
2017 2215 49-1X 118 71 60 507 71
2017 2216 49-1X 34 23 68 188 23
2017 2218 52-1X 9 6 60 55 6
Source: Harvest Statistics Database compiled from Mandatory Harvest Reports and Check Station Records
* In 2000 hunter information not collected.

Resident Tags and Permits

  • Adult Elk Tag
  • Jr./Sr./DAV Elk Tag
  • Controlled Hunt Application Fee
  • Handicapped Motor Vehicle Permit*

NonResident Tags and Permits

  • Junior Mentored Elk Tag
  • Adult Elk Tag
  • Controlled Hunt Application Fee
  • Handicapped Motor Vehicle Permit*

A valid hunting license is required for all hunting and trapping activities.
* Indicates this item is optional.

Where to purchase

Learn more about IDFG Licenses, Tags & Permits

Surface Management

For government land, these data show the managing agency of the land, which may or not be the same as the owning agency.

Graph illustrating 36 percent Private 204,669 acres   36%
Graph illustrating 28.34 percent U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) 161,116 acres   28.3%
Graph illustrating 24.41 percent U.S. Forest Service (USFS) 138,790 acres   24.4%
Graph illustrating 6.23 percent State of Idaho 35,428 acres   6.2%
Graph illustrating 4.87 percent U.S. National Park Service (NPS) 27,699 acres   4.9%
Graph illustrating 0.14 percent State of Idaho 806 acres   0.1%
Graph illustrating 0.01 percent U.S. Bureau of Reclamation (BOR) 40 acres   0%

Make your own map of Hunt Area 49-1X Elk Controlled Hunt 2187
Land management via Inside Idaho

Access Yes! Properties

Access Yes! is Fish and Game program designed to improve hunting and fishing access to private land or through private land to public land by compensating willing landowners who provide access.

No properties are currently available in this hunt area.
View all Access Yes Participants.

Federally-designated Wilderness Areas

No motorized vehicles are allowed in these areas.

There are no wilderness areas in this hunt.